Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Jack Sim #639177 Wed Dec 02 2015 08:09 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Although many experienced collectors here may not like values listed as it makes buying pumps tougher :)), I think some form of relative value for comparison purposes makes it a much more usable and valuable book. Leaving prices out will definitely extend the useful life of the book (although it will always be useful as an ID guide).

A rarity index by itself doesn't tell all, as rarity does not equate to high desirability or high value. Perhaps no dollar value listed, but rather a rarity AND a desirability/value rating? Although subjective, just like a dollar value would be, these two numbers would help new collectors determine which pumps are hardest to find and also most sought after. Yes, a large majority of pumps may fall in the middle of both scales, but at least one can quickly gather those pumps that are at the top and bottom of the range.

Whatever you decide Jack, I know it will be a great book and I can't wait to see it. Thanks for all your hard work and diligence collecting all the info and photos for all of us to enjoy and learn from!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jack Sim #639179 Wed Dec 02 2015 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack,

I would have to say no prices are necessary.

I too have bought and sold a few pumps over the years and I cannot think of one time that the book price ever came up in either buying or selling.

The common pumps are sold with enough regularity that it is not hard for anyone to research and find a fair market value. But when it comes to the less common pumps then that's when pricing gets a lot harder, they just don't trade hands publicly enough to ever get a real feel for the market. You just kinda have to go with a gut feeling and engage in the art of negotiation. It is surprising to me at the price some of the rarer pumps will command.

I have found that sellers with large quantities of pumps to sell know what they are worth but realize that you can't sell 300 pumps at retail. These sellers have your book and are knowledgeable but the book price really does not mean much here.

It is amazing to me that the amount of people that come to buy a pump have never heard of your books. There is a huge group of people out there that want just one pump but aren't really into the hobby very deep. Evidently they must come armed with some type of knowledge from somewhere and either they buy or they don't-more often than not they buy. When I show them your book they become like kids in a candy store and that opens theirs eyes to a whole new world.....they want more. But I have never had anyone say to me "well the book says this is the price"

Jack, your contribution to the hobby is beyond compare. Your books have enlightened us all. I guess it really doesn't matter to me as far as pricing goes because I have not found it to help or hinder. Thank you so much for your work! And we need to talk at the next show, there is an untapped market out there for your book.

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
Jack Sim #639180 Wed Dec 02 2015 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the book will certainly sell better with values...

BUT, I tend to agree with most, I'd rather not see values

there are just way too many factors to consider when pump pricing... completeness? straight? rust/rot? restored? level of restoration? original paint? etc etc.

maybe instead of a rarity rating, you could do a 'desirability' 1-10 rating. For instance, a Wayne 50 showcase would maybe be a 9, while a Tok39 short would maybe be a 3

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Jack Sim #639182 Wed Dec 02 2015 08:29 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Jack I agree with Bobs statement; "I like the idea of a Guide having values... I realize that exact values; is a fleeting concept."

For us amateurs who do not routinely engage in volume buying and selling, it provides us a concept of how valuable a pump might be relative to other ones that we might be familiar with. A person who is in the business has their finger on the pulse of "what's happening" most others don't.

Jack Sim #639188 Wed Dec 02 2015 08:54 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I say no pricing for what little it's worth. I think amateur collectors will likely go to Ebay for pricing first (like it or not). Its way to easy and probably the price they will want to believe.

Folks in a little deeper will have a better feel from this site, shows, auctions, ect. for what the current market pricing is.

Last edited by TheGriffin; Wed Dec 02 2015 08:55 AM.

Looking for any Alabama based globes and advertising such as Coastal, Rebel, Interstate Oil, Foster Oil (supertane), Mutual, Oil Well, etc...
Jack Sim #639189 Wed Dec 02 2015 08:56 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
No values just a rairity scale and let the market (buyer/seller) determine the price.

My wife has a 4 stack bookcase full of Antique Refrence books that she has accumulated over the years before the Internet existed . The pricing in all of them is useless and outdated.

Let the public research for their selfs . Plenty of info out their . They just need to research and teach their selfs instead of taking the easy road .

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
BryceG #639196 Wed Dec 02 2015 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

maybe instead of a rarity rating, you could do a 'desirability' 1-10 rating. For instance, a Wayne 50 showcase would maybe be a 9, while a Tok39 short would maybe be a 3 [/quote]

What he said. I like to see prices for the ability to compare how desirable a pump may be. While I think I know what a Wayne 70 is worth, I have no idea on a lot of the other more uncommon ones. A 1-10 desirability scale would help rack and stack them. As they quit making old original pumps years ago, the 1-10 scale may stay a lot more current than a $$ number.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Jack Sim #639199 Wed Dec 02 2015 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All of this is like walking into a mine field, for some reason once a price or value range is in a printed book it comes the law and creates false hopes. If this hobby keeps moving forward at this pace common pumps will gain in value because of availability and all of the other factors in placing a value on them.

I would prefer that prices are not given even a grading desirability scale would not keep pace with desirability. Just my thoughts.

Have gas all the time
Jack Sim #639202 Wed Dec 02 2015 10:17 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
maybe Prices

1990 Price

2000 Price

2010 Price

2015 Price

Then you can get a good idea where it's going

Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
Jack Sim #639204 Wed Dec 02 2015 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
People on here know what a good or bad pump is worth. Putting the price in maybe gives the seller an idea of value, like he is actually getting a fair deal.
I guess then its up to the buyer whether he brings the book out or not...

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Jack Sim #639206 Wed Dec 02 2015 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kind of like pickers using amistadis book when selling and Scott Anderson's 1985 book when buying.
Besides, the ones who have no idea on price can still come to OldGas and ask the value before putting it on eBay/craigslist.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #639211 Wed Dec 02 2015 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By KZ1000
Kind of like pickers using amistadis book when selling and Scott Anderson's 1985 book when buying.
Besides, the ones who have no idea on price can still come to OldGas and ask the value before putting it on eBay/craigslist.

laugh

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Jack Sim #639223 Wed Dec 02 2015 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The ones who have no idea are usually 70+ in age and don't have or use a computer.

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Ryan Underthun #639230 Wed Dec 02 2015 03:49 PM
T
T
I agree. Prices are needed!

Hi I would like to meet up with other petro collectors here in the Raleigh area. Thanks Tom
Jack Sim #639241 Wed Dec 02 2015 06:04 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
+ 1 for values

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved