Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Several years ago I bought this Deep Rock billboard to display on the tall end wall in my shop. At the time I didn't have anything in the shop that would get in the way of enjoying it after it was put up as I had a smaller rv and it was stored in one of our storage units at my business. But, before I got around to trying to put it up we traded the rv for a bigger, taller unit and it was too big to store in the storage unit at the plant. Consequently, the only place I had to store it was in the last bay in my shop here at home and with it in there, the end wall where I had planned to put the billboard was blocked from view by the coach. I sort of forgot about even having the billboard as it was packed away in a carton, all folded in sections as it had been for the last 70+ years and it was out of sight and out of mind. Well, after completing the new office/display room this summer, I was looking through everything to display in the room and ran on to the billboard. After doing some measuring and figuring out where everything else was going to fit, I decided to use the outside wall and upper level enclosure wall for a backdrop to mount the huge sign. It measures 8x20 feet and would take up most of the wall, but by mounting it there, I could enjoy it every day and it would be high enough off the floor that it shouldn't get damaged by everyday work in the shop area of the building. After deciding to tackle the task of putting a huge paper billboard on the wall, I had to figure out exactly how to do it and gather up the materials needed to do the job. The sign itself is printed on heavy paper stock and was made in sixteen sections with the graphics printed to overlap and align as you paste it up. After much research and several phone calls I thought I had the right information to tackle it. I was partly right. I probably did have the right materials, but I had never even wallpapered a room, much less hung huge sheets of paper on a wall almost fifteen feet high......by myself. Each sheet had to be square with the one before it and all of the graphics had to line up as I went along. To simplify the explanation of the process, suffice it to say that there were a few times that I thought I had bit off more than I could chew this time!! But I stayed with it and by the third or fourth section was up I had kinda figured out what worked and what didn't and it went a little more smoothly toward the end. I've posted a few pictures of the way I hung it on the wall. I stripped the wall with furring strips and then attached heavy styrofoam board for the backer to the strips. The foam was primed and then sized for the paper before hanging the sign. After it was all up and trimmed, I framed it to secure the edges and finish it out. All in all, I'm pretty proud of it. I doubt I ever have a bigger sign in my collection and it sure does get your attention when you enter the room!......GB

101_1425.JPG IMG_0384.JPG IMG_0388.JPG IMG_0396.JPG
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
looks like a lot of work but came out good.. ... cool

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Looks Great!

S
S
Gary - sign looks great - can't wait to see it in person.

Always buying Skelly items.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
OK, so I didn't read the paragraph first and looked at the pictures. At first I thought it was a painted steel sign. I think it looks great!

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
That is cool!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That looks great Gary . Nice job and you shop looks great.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
looks awesome funny how we put things off due to all the reasons that we come up with, then.. after the job is done its like "man that was easy/quick/simple..what have you.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Now that looks great!

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome billboard.

Kurt

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
MIGHTY BIG sign ! Looks Great and nice that you have the room to display it.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It looks fantastic!!

Braden Splichal

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved