Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#640601 Mon Dec 14 2015 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Working on restoring/repainting a wayne 511 blender pump and was thinking about pump restoration in general. What is considered a restored pump vs a repainted cleaned up pump?

I am stripping the pump to bare metal. all panels and frame. not rebuilding computer. using all original parts I can to put back together except nuts and bolts. I am not redoing any chrome or stainless parts just polishing and removing dings best I can. would this be considered a restored pump.

When restoring a pump would you rather use all the original parts even less than perfect parts or would you rather use all new reproduction parts? I'd rather use flawed original parts as opposed to reproduction parts.

Just curious more than anything as to what others opinions are. Pump is for me anyways.

Got Socony???

Tom
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
nochevys #640639 Mon Dec 14 2015 02:47 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The word "restored" has so many meaning, it should be barred from use.
Example #1: At CTO convention around 2000. Guys pulls in, sets up across from me. Pulls out three low pumps that look restored. Went over to inspect them, opened one of the doors and it fell off, inside of cabinet was covered with grease, he said it was restored.

Example #2. Guy in Calif. calls me around 2001, proceeds to tell me how he restored his pump. "Took it apart then had the frame chromed...."

Both guys said the pumps were restored, now tell me the meaning of "restored."

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
nochevys #640656 Mon Dec 14 2015 05:04 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Restored to me would mean brought back to how it left the factory. I'm not old enough to say if pumps back in the day left the factory shining like a show car like so many pumps do nowadays.

Screen Shot 12-14-15 at 06.59 PM (2).JPG

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #640735 Tue Dec 15 2015 05:52 PM
D
D
Originally Posted By Steve C.
Restored to me would mean brought back to how it left the factory. I'm not old enough to say if pumps back in the day left the factory shining like a show car like so many pumps do nowadays.
at 30 and new to this kinda stuff I am not sure either because I never seen these kind of things in use but being pumps were commercial utility things that had hard lives I would think the paint was not glossy but instead was the type of baked on enamel paint used on cars back then and I'd guess the chrome parts were prob tool grade chrome ( much harder and durable the. Auto chrome but less shine to it) but I can only guess...

nochevys #640763 Wed Dec 16 2015 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree the word restored is so wide in definition that it basically has no meaning. I don't think restored means back to original condition necessarily, although I get the logic in that. I've seen someone take an old rusty pump, spray paint with a can without any disassembly nor any prep at all, and try to sell it to me as "restored". When that happened I realized the word restored basically doesmt mean anything.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved