Next Thread
Print Thread
#642225 Wed Dec 30 2015 08:39 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
I have a Texaco trapezoidal sign that is wavy but not creased. is there a way to get this wave out of it before putting it in the pole frame? it is the large version that would have been on a pole in front of the service station. thanks.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would put it back in the frame as is, the pole frame would tend too take the wave out?.. ... cool

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have tried to straighten a couple of bent porcelain signs with no luck. I agree with Randy.

L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
thanks guys.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
best way is to lay it between 2 pieces of plywood on a very flat surface and slowly run it over with your vehicle, but you will usually lose a little porcelain or cause additional stressing in the porcelain. often not worth it unless the sign is already missing porcelain in areas

Last edited by BryceG; Tue Jan 05 2016 04:13 PM. Reason: i cant spell

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have used a torch for a bullet hole stretch. Cherry red hot,3 or 4 diameter, believe it or not striking it with heavy hammer and no porcelain will chip off. WHY ???? because the porcelain is almost liquid. The first time is the hardest, so use a really bad sign to test your nerve. Warped signs I haven`t tried but I like the drive over idea ,I would try it with heat though....Tom

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have driven over them as well and it worked pretty darn good. You will loose a little porcelain but not much.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom, I didnt have the same luck-I tried heating a porcelain sign with a torch once and the porcelain in the immediate area shot off the sign like little bullets. I had hoped to liquefy it a little. The heating/expansion and cooling/contraction wasnt controllable. I never tried it again. Certainly wasnt the dumbest thing I've done ,but it did make it to the list.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

Leave it alone and put it in the frame. It waves because it's just a lot piece of metal. The frame will take care of it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If anybody does try to tweet a pocelain sign, ALWAYS have eye protection! As Jim said, the pocelain will fly off like a bullet and penetrate exposed body parts. Just saying.
Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Your torch was too close, you have to go slowly. I did a 4 foot philips neon, a letter was flattened. When the orange heated up it turned almost black before it got cherry red. I thought it would never be orange again, I couldn`t hit it so my friend took the heavy hammer hit it once very hard while I held it up..dent popped out turned back to orange as it cooled, no new chips but don`t spray it with water.....Tom

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved