Next Thread
Print Thread
#650634 Sun Mar 20 2016 02:27 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Is it normal for original visible gas pump id tags (or even electric pumps) to be missing the model number but yet have a serial number?

Last edited by Gasoline George; Sun Mar 20 2016 02:32 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I GUESS!! I HAVE A CORRECT MEASURE WITHOUT MODEL # BUT DOES ONLY HAVE SERIAL NUMBER. FRANK

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
It is not the norm, but a tag could slip through the assembly process and not be stamped. Human error.
Joe

G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Yeah I guess anything is possible. My friend who was a big seller/picker of pumps in the 80's and 90's had come across quire a few of these without model numbers including Waynes, G&B's and even electric pumps.

I've come across a few but mostly repros, someone got to stamping it and didn't finish or didn't know the exact model. But I'm sure the exact same thing happened in the factory, with the partial finishing anyway.

Last edited by NWVisibles; Fri Mar 25 2016 04:11 PM.

Always looking for rusty old pumps and signage especially Visibles, Northwest or West Coast brands, and Standard Oil of California.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
In the early years (1900-1915) Bowser was very laxed about putting Model No. on their pumps as were a number of other companies. Many companies didn't even put Model Nos. on the pumps they showed in their catalogs and in their ads.

Pumps sold outside of the U.S. usually had different Model Nos. than the U.S. ones.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Fri Mar 25 2016 07:54 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Jack, is Fry also guilty of omitting model numbers (eg on Mae west pumps)?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
George here is one that is missing. But I doubt it is a reproduction.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Two things I want to remind you of, one I have never owned a Fry, and second, for some reason I have decided my next big project (after the book is published) is to gather every piece of information I can about the Fry Mae West pumps. Everytime someone here posts a picture of any part of the pump I put it in a file.
George I can't really answer your question, someone who has owned a number of these pumps is better equipped to answer it.
Other than identifing the parts used in each of the pumps, I am going to really work on the Serial Numbers on the ID tags to try and determine when each of the pumps was made. I will be asking everyone to send me the Serial Number, which model, and when they think the pump was made. Not now, later.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
No worries Jack. I will be more than happy to contribute to your info collecting.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved