Next Thread
Print Thread
#665704 Thu Sep 08 2016 02:52 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
I am planning a trip thru Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania. If you know of petroliana related sites in these states, particularly ones not typically found in the travel guides, please post their name and location for me. I am interested in collections that are open for viewing, old gas stations, restored gas stations, petroliana museums and car museums. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
AACA museum in Hershey PA is a great place to visit I'm told. Every time I drive by it I'm too tired to stop since I've walked the Hershey show all day. Brady

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There is a restored Standard station on Route 66 in Odell, Il (about 95mi S of Chicago) that you would like. There is also a nice Route 66 museum and Pontiac Automobile museum in Pontiac Il about 10 miles south of there.

In IN, of course you have the A-C-D (Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg) museum north of Ft Wayne. There is also an early Ford museum near the A-C-D museum that looks like it would be good as well.

BrianH

Brian H
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
A-C-D museum is excellent! Indy Speedway museum is great, Studebaker museum is very good too. AMA motorcycle museum near Columbus is very good too.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
When the Tokheim Pump Co. went bankrupt all of the old pumps that were on display in the factory buildings, and all the literature (going back to almost 1900) was purchased by a group of men from Ft. Wayne. I was there just after everything happened. Both the pumps and most of the literature is now in the ADC Museum in Auburn. I was told a section of the museum has been devoted to the pump companies from Ft. Wayne. I donated a old Bowser pump, it may be on display.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
AACA is a great museum! I managed to see it on my trip to Hershey last year. Main destination this year is the Carlisle fall meet.

Jeff
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
I got to see the ACD museum last year on my trip to Hershey. Well worth the visit. Pontiac museum is on my list for this year and I will now add the Standard station. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted By BrianH
There is a restored Standard station on Route 66 in Odell, Il (about 95mi S of Chicago) that you would like. There is also a nice Route 66 museum and Pontiac Automobile museum in Pontiac Il about 10 miles south of there.

In IN, of course you have the A-C-D (Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg) museum north of Ft Wayne. There is also an early Ford museum near the A-C-D museum that looks like it would be good as well.

BrianH

Jeff
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Thanks for mentioning the Indy museum. For some reason I have never added it to my list , but will now. Does the AMA include much petroliana or is it pretty much motorcycles?

Originally Posted By oldgoaly
A-C-D museum is excellent! Indy Speedway museum is great, Studebaker museum is very good too. AMA motorcycle museum near Columbus is very good too.

Jeff
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
You can stop in forest oh ,got alot of signs etc,some even for sale.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
The AMA is 99% motorcycles, we used to do Hershey every fall, but the knees could not take it. In Pa. there is a racing museum south of Dillsburg, in York Springs EMMR Eastern museum of motor racing, my favorite cause there is a metalworking display and I have gotten to know some of the gang out there.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What a great website, I've obviously been right past the EMMR museum on the way to Dillsburg and not known it. I've bought quite a bit of Petro at the station at the corner of 15 and 74 at Dillsburg during Carlisle. He usually sets up during the show. The owners office upstairs has quite a bit of Atlantic products upstairs on display. Great guy to visit. Brady

A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Jack,

I was at the ACD museum last year and now I guess I need to plan a return trip as I apparently missed the pumps - or at least I didn't take any pictures. Thanks for the info.

Jeff

Originally Posted By Jack Sim
When the Tokheim Pump Co. went bankrupt all of the old pumps that were on display in the factory buildings, and all the literature (going back to almost 1900) was purchased by a group of men from Ft. Wayne. I was there just after everything happened. Both the pumps and most of the literature is now in the ADC Museum in Auburn. I was told a section of the museum has been devoted to the pump companies from Ft. Wayne. I donated a old Bowser pump, it may be on display.

Jack Sim

Jeff
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
I really appreciate all the feedback and great ideas!

Jeff

Jeff

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved