Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#665935 Sat Sep 10 2016 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
Okay, fakes are not funny, but I had to laugh when I saw this. There is a fake Phillips 66 sign listed on E-bay (I pretty much think almost everything on E-bay is fake anyway), but check this out.

To the uninformed E-bayer the back of this sign looks like it has some rust issues. But I had to laugh a little, because if you look closely, you will realize that the circles of rust are actually stains from three other round re-pops he beat up, rusted, and let dry on top of each other (rivet areas and all)!

Man, I hate scammers.

... and yes I know, technically it's a 'repop', but I believe it turns into a fake, when a scam artist purposely tries to turn it into a real sign.

(by the way, this scammer is: csaphire52012)

Phillips fake[1].JPG
Fake Phillips sign

Last edited by Speedracer; Sat Sep 10 2016 10:30 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
Actually it's not a repop its a fantasy piece.. FYI Phillips NEVER made a pump plate of any kind. so I guess they are all scammers. LOL

I collect Phillips 66 and globes pumps & signs esp Iowa co.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
That is a crazy observation Steve!!

I remember some time ago, a guy posted on ebay a listing for one of those t-53 Pegasus, and in the listing, and the title, he posted all about how fake it was in order to call out the jokers selling them as real and to inform people.
Would this be allowed by ebay? If we were to post these fake signs for say a million bucks so no body bids, and tell all about how fake they are. Would ebay allow that?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
Not sure Steve, but one guy did have a post with a PPP, a hammer and a rock, trying to explain to other e-bay users that most signs are fake. And he clearly explained you were bidding on a picture. It was a good attempt to inform people.

I still say people should be able to comment on items for sale on e-bay. Yes there are some down-sides to that, but overall I think it would keep people from buying (and possibly selling) fake items.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
H
H
Wow, great eye on that fake. Just starting to collect, this gives a newbie pause when looking to buy on epay. I noticed not all listing indicate reproduction.
Are there any things to look for to make a smart decision?
Thanks to all for sharing you knowledge.
Hector R.
Southwest OK7D

J
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
J
I posted a pic of several repops in a factory just after fabrication and added pics of the same signs after the special Rock & BB gun treatment. I listed for the max allowed of like $500,000 and in my description listed several names of known sellers who consistently sell repops beat up as original. The listing lasted about 10 days before being pulled. It received hundreds of hits and I also received several positive emails from buyers who were unaware of this stuff on eBay. The crazy thing was, I was adding names on a daily basis of known offenders. When you really keep track of these sellers, the amounts are staggering now a days.

H
H
So how about those signs on epay coming from India. They are listed as used ??? I've never seen the International Harvester triple diamond sign. Thoughts ??
Hector

hrivas01 #666231 Tue Sep 13 2016 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By hrivas01
So how about those signs on epay coming from India. They are listed as used ??? I've never seen the International Harvester triple diamond sign. Thoughts ??
Hector

ANYTHING from India is FAKE REPOP FANTASY, whatever you wanna call it, it ain't real.

They did not have Sinclair stations in India in 1930 !!! LOL

They probably barely had roads and cars!

Last edited by Speedracer; Tue Sep 13 2016 05:16 PM.

Is there any database of these scammers to avoid? or do you just assume they are all fake unless you see them?

Check out our sales at Live.AntiqueAdvertising.com
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By AntiqueAd
Is there any database of these scammers to avoid? or do you just assume they are all fake unless you see them?

No, I do not just assume. Years of experience of learning real signs from fake ones - from hundreds of experts on this site and going to shows. And taking the time to research and learn the subtle differences between real and fake signs. It's a learning process that requires a lot of homework.

A LOT, IF NOT MOST, 12" SIGNS ON EBAY ARE NOT ORIGINALS (not to take away from the legit ones, but be careful).

Here's a start for you...

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=111340&Number=665933#Post665933

Last edited by Speedracer; Thu Sep 22 2016 09:15 PM.

The amount of reproductions and fantasy pieces being imported and made locally is insane. My question is this. How do you think this will affect the market in the next 15-20 years? I've heard two arguments....the rationale behind each being the same. 1) The market will drop significantly because of the large number of fakes flooding in. 2) The market for genuine pieces will stay strong because of the large number of fakes flooding in. What are everyone's thoughts?

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I feel strongly both ways. cool

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Depends on whether you are buying or selling that day eh Steve C.? grin

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
high end 69 Camaros seem to be holding well, original Mona Lisa still worth lots . hard to say but I am hoping the originals will go up . Recent sales results are stronger then they have ever been .

Follow the Red Indian Trail

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved