Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#667394 Mon Sep 26 2016 10:02 AM
C
crxnug Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi, I just bought a Gilbarco 996 and will be starting the restoration, I have a question regarding which brand to restore it to, Im going to keep it for myself for now but it the future i want to have a higher value in regards to which brand is more collectible and sought after if i ever decide to sell it. any help would be much appreciated

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
crxnug #667411 Mon Sep 26 2016 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If your keeping it for a long time do it in what you want to look at every day. Then when/if you decide to sell it will need a fresh restor then do it then. Jmo

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
crxnug #667420 Mon Sep 26 2016 02:20 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I've restored many pumps over the years. I found that the overwhelming first choice of casual buyers was red & white color: Texaco and Mobil. I personally got tired of red & white, but that's what sold the quickest.

crxnug #667457 Mon Sep 26 2016 09:34 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I don't ever remember restoring a pump that wasn't red and white, including a Wayne 60 display pump that I sold at the 2nd Iowa Gas back in the 1980s. Just to let you know how things have changed, I sold the 60 for $1000.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
crxnug #668302 Fri Oct 07 2016 09:21 AM
R
R
Hi
I have a 996C as well (I am assuming you have a C) and will be restoring it back to it's original colours (it was from my great aunt's station).
I guess the best way to answer you that I know of is to first figure out where you intend on selling it (assuming you did). If it is here in Canada as opposed to the US, you might want to lean towards something more Canadian which likely is in more demand. Being in Dunnville, I'd look at stations that are more Niagara-Hamilton-Toronto related as this would like be your selling area.
Next time period correctness and variety of brands and colours could impact things. My aunt's station was a Shell and I have learned in my research that there wasn't a set colour scheme at the time and there appears to have been many way of painting the pumps with the Shell red and yellow (I love the scheme a lot so I am more than happy with it). Rare brands and scheme's for brands along with basing it on old photographs as a tribute could be something that appeals to a buyer with a fun bit of history tied to it.
Lastly, I completely advise to make sure it ultimately is eye catching for you. Unless your intending to restore it and sell, colour/brand it in the way you enjoy it and worry about whether a buyer will enjoy it as a secondary problem.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved