Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#675021 Mon Dec 26 2016 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Looking for some help on this one - believe I have this dated somewhere in the early to mid-20's. Charles Teetor was the founder of what was originally known as the "Indiana Piston Seal Company" which was formed in 1918. The trade name Perfect Circle piston seal began being used in 1921. In 1926 the Indiana Piston Seal Company became known as the Perfect Circle Company. I'm assuming that after 1926 the founders name was no longer used as a part of any advertising - could be wrong, again an assumption. This particular cabinet does have the founders name associated with the messaging. Any thoughts or additional information anyone can provide on linking the age of this cabinet would be appreciated.

Another area I need some help with is the paint - appears that the few light blue areas on the metal front and sides show the original paint color - guessing that over time it lost its original light blue pigment due to fading? Is it possible that the light blue would fade to the darker color that the cabinet is in now?

Definitely was no attempt to "spray" or touch up the areas that do have the lighter paint.

Cabinet is wood framed including the shelves - with metal sheeting on sides and back.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated - Thanks!

pccab.jpg pc1.jpg pcside.jpg pcside2.jpg

Steve
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
More pics of paint contrast.

pcpaint3.jpg pcpaint.jpg

Steve
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Back

pcbac.jpg pc back.jpg

Steve
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can't help you info but boy, is that one cool piece.

Have gas all the time
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
From what I understand many tin signs and cans were given a clear top coat, possibly a clear varnish, to protect the paint surface. To me yours looks like the coating has aged and oxidized over years resulting in the darker colour. The lighter blue areas are where the top coating has come off resulting in the original colour showing through. Sometimes you can clean off the aged top coat by gently rubbing on it but it really isn't recommended unless you know what you are doing and have a specific purpose for doing so. With the top protective layer gone it is very easy to polish right through the paint layer to the metal underneath. You have a great advertising cabinet there. Cheers, Don.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Don - thanks for the explanation on the cabinets' paint issue. Makes perfect sense regarding your oxidation theory. Won't be attempting to clean it up other than a little soap and water - would be to concerned with rubbing any of the finish off using a polish or harsh cleaner.

Thanks again for your reply.

Steve

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved