Print Thread
#677726 Thu Jan 26 2017 08:01 PM
G
GHH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Just got one of my favorite pumps an 8 sided American Visible and have a few questions:
-Was the blue glass cylinder normal on the American pumps?
Most visible pumps I buy have clear cylinders but seems like many American's have blue glass.
-Pictures of the original pump handle?
Mine has been replaced I believe
-Were the tops cast iron or stamped?
I've only seen stamped with the star on top but I've heard of cast tops.
Are there any proclivities on this pump that need to be considered while carrying out a restoration?

I'd love to see pictures of your restored American's. These make beautiful pumps when well restored.

G. H. H A T L E Y
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
GHH #677748 Thu Jan 26 2017 10:56 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
American made at least 10 visible pumps that were 8 sided, and I count about 4 different handles in my pictures, so until you can supply a Model Number or a picture you won't get an answer. Actually you will need some pump identification to get some replies on some of the other questions.
Here is a bunch of pictures: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/american%20pumps-1.htm
but you will have to click on each one to try and ID your pump.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
GHH #677754 Fri Jan 27 2017 06:25 AM
G
GHH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
2487-V

G. H. H A T L E Y
GHH #678235 Wed Feb 01 2017 11:03 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Graham, I have the same pump (2487-v). Mine has the same handle that is pictured in Jack's literature. It has a blue glass cylinder that looks to be original. It's cracked but I have a perfect blue glass cylinder to replace it with. Mine also has the stamped top with the "star" in it. The attached pic is the only one I've taken of the handle, sorry.

BrianH

Stuckey Farm Gas Pump resized 2.jpg

Brian H
GHH #678359 Thu Feb 02 2017 08:28 PM
G
GHH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Great patina, looks like a shell pump.

G. H. H A T L E Y
GHH #678419 Sat Feb 04 2017 03:03 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Graham,
I have an unrestored 8 sided American and I also consider this to be one of my favourites. My top is stamped. My cylinder was missing but could see broken glass that looked clear. I have an original blue glass cylinder for it and I have also queried myself whether they were made with a blue cylinder. I must admit most of the Americans I have seen were clear cylinders but I am no expert on these pumps. I would also love to know the answer to this. Does your pump have the bezel for nozzle spout or does it just have a hole in skin?

Last edited by Gasoline George; Sat Feb 04 2017 03:07 AM.
GHH #678666 Mon Feb 06 2017 01:35 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Guys,
The answer is right there in my pic. Mine at least came with a blue glass cylinder and I can tell you it hasn't been apart in a LONG time, if ever.

Mine also has the cast nozzle receiver that bolts to the skin. You need a williams gas o gun nozzle if you want the nozzle to hang right.

BrianH

Brian H
BrianH #678732 Tue Feb 07 2017 03:29 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Brian, my pump is identical to yours which has the gas-o-gun nozzle and ribs on skins. Mine had a clear cylinder. What size is your replacement cylinder? Does anyone else have the same pump with a blue cylinder from manufacture?

Last edited by Gasoline George; Tue Feb 07 2017 03:42 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ive got one with a blue cylinder I believe to be original.

JimT #679814 Sat Feb 18 2017 08:53 PM
G
GHH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Mine has the cast iron holder for the nozzle.
Getting back to the cylinders, I saw another American, almost identical to mine and again, blue glass. A few months back I saw one at auction that wasn't for sale and as I recall it had blue glass. Come to think of it many years ago, when I saw my first 8 sided Americans it too had a blue glass cylinder. So in my experiences 100% of them have had blue glass.
I've had a number of blue glass cylinder visibles lately, I use to only get clear glass it seemed like.

I wonder if there was a method with pump companies as to which cylinder they placed in the pumps.

I remember years ago hearing that some companies offered different colored cylinders, not just blue tint. I wonder how many different colors are out there and what was the reason for the coloring?

G. H. H A T L E Y

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved