Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#679000 Thu Feb 09 2017 07:16 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hi. I am finally getting around to restoring my Wayne 70. When I bought it, the door where already removed so I don't have any notes/pictures to work from. Before I paint it, I wan't to make sure everything is aligned correctly. I have figured out the hinge orientation and have both doors mounted. I tried to search this, but the question I have is that on both doors, the hinges "bottom out" against the frame before the door is completely closed. I would say there is still about 2" to 3" of travel left when the hinges hit the frame before the door is closed. I can continue closing it with a small amount of pressure and the latch will keep it closed. It actually has the effect of putting spring tension on the door. Is this normal"
Thanks,
Dave

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Something is not together correctly or is bent. Post some pics.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
after working. in auto body shops for more than 20 years ,door must fit opening,without force or pushing or twisting,check hinges for looseness , or bent, door should fit and close freely and aline without any type of latch or lock . hope this helps Bob

Last edited by Rsljr1; Thu Feb 09 2017 08:05 PM.
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the quick responses. I will post some pictures over the weekend. This one is a head scratcher. Since all 6 hinges are pretty much the same shape I wouldn't think they are all bent so I suspect I have something else assembled wrong.

A
OP Offline
A
OK. Here are a few pictures. One picture shows how I have the hinges on both doors with the door plate facing opposite directions. This seems to work and the doors are at the right height. The second picture shows how one of the hinges is mounted. The last picture shows the hinge starting to "bottom out" on the frame when the door is closing. In that picture, the door is still 2-3" from closing when the hinge hits. All the hinges are the same shape. Even a few replacement hinges I bought are the same shape.

Opposing Hinges.JPG Door 1.JPG Hinge Hitting Frame.JPG
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Looks like the screws on the door to long -- it might be binding

looking for spanish gas signs
A
OP Offline
A
Good observation on the screws being long and I initially thought that was the problem as well. I do plan to shorten them, but they are not hitting anything. With the edge of the hinge up against the frame in the last picture, the door still needs to close 3 more inches and those screws are contacting anything. I am starting to think that the edge of the doors might not be rolled over enough so that the plate that mounts there is sitting at the wrong angle.

Hinge Alignment.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There may be sheet metal damage. In the past the door might have been opened too far. If that is the case the door will be "springy" at the final closing. The frame could have a little bit of a twist to it as well. Measure the back side of your door side to side starting from top to bottom. If your measurements are not the same top to bottom then the door is flared out. You could also measure the door opening side to side starting from top to bottom to see if the frame is bent.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved