Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#679214 Sun Feb 12 2017 09:17 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Looking at several Phillips 66 double sided porcelain signs. One has the VERIBRITE mark, another has SPS?, and yet another with no indication of manufacturer at all. All 30" signs. I'd like to find out more about the manufacturers of these signs and if one is more desirable than the other.

Also amazed at what folks are asking for these signs......unbelievable. Is it still possible to find these outside of dealers and auctions?

Thanks.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would say the one marked veribrite is always your best bet. Also have seen many not marked at all but are still legitimate signs. People can ask astronomical prices and will likely never get what there asking, we've turned a different corner on gas and oil collecting the average guy can't hardly buy anymore.

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks Tim.

I agree the average guy is pretty much priced out. One of the signs I have been considering is near mint and I thought the guy was nuts for what he wanted for it. However, after looking at several other signs of the same size and watching the price realized at auction for one yesterday, his price is right in there.

Do you think values will continue to increase? Have you ever seen them drop? I know condition is a big deal but how big of a deal?

Back to the manufacturers.....does anyone have info on these companies? What does the SRS stand for? Just wanting to do some research

Thanks,

Last edited by Project 66; Sun Feb 12 2017 01:48 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Project 66
after looking at several other signs of the same size and watching the price realized at auction for one yesterday, his price is right in there.

Tim,

Do not base value on these signs from auction results. Just because you have two rich guys at a high-end auction that both have to have this sign for their garage (and money is no object), does not reflect the value of the sign.

You can find signs much cheaper at shows / swap meets, etc.

Last edited by Speedracer; Sun Feb 12 2017 01:48 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
From my long 55 years of buying and selling just about anything I will say that the prices will increase, but.....just like a lot of other collectibles they will level off and start to drop.

Look what happened to soda machines, cash registers, slot machines, etc. When a generation that remembers a certain things dies off, interest is lost, the next generation wants to collect what they remember. Determine why you are collecting signs, is it because you have a lot of money? will sell the signs later to send your children to college? an investment for your retirement; etc.? Then consider buying and selling, each time making money, (enjoying the sign while you own it), and put the profit in the bank where it will not go down in value.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
SPS is Southwest Porcelain Steel. They were in business in Tulsa Okla. for 40 years. I went to their auction, when they closed. The days of high grade condition cheap signs are long gone. I bought my first high grade Phillips shield for $60.

1 member likes this: Mamakat
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks all for the feedback!

Southwest Porcelain Steel...excellent, thank you! $60...amazing.

I am interested in the signs becuase I like them, they are a reminder of our golden age, quality manufacturing, service, and American pride. I also work in the Oil & Gas industry. I certainly don't by them becuse I have a lot of money......I wish!! I just don't want to shell out good cash only to see it lose value.

Jack, I think you make a good point about generational interest, hopefully younger generations will continue to appreciate the past???

I would consider buying and selling to build a collection and improve the overall quality of it. I don't ever see it as a business proposition for myself as I am just not wired that way....

For the time being I am primarily interested in P66 stuff and old advertising of things that I remember from childhood.

Thanks again and I appreciate any other insight folks here may have.

Who can tell me about "shelving" on these signs should it be a criteria used to evaluate authenticity and/or value?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I couldn't agree more with Speedracer. Don't get too hung up on auction results, especially from a single auction. I tried TWICE last weekend to get the exact Phillips 66 sign you're talking about. In both instances, I offered about 25% OVER the auction results from various 2016 online auctions (not eBay - I'm talking Morphy, etc which are already higher than average) and failed both times. I decided that the people in the room had more money and less sense than I did and bowed out. Auctions are really funny - sometimes you can get great deals and other times not. You really have to do your research, have a fair number in your head regarding value and how much you're willing to pay and then let it pass if the bids go beyond that. That 66 sign is not rare - there will be more coming up for sale. Be patient, know the value and you'll eventually score.

BrianH

Brian H
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks Brian.

I get the auction thing.....sort of. I have collected other stuff over the years....this is my new area of interest. I think I need to network some more as well. Some of the locals folks here......Houston area, are asking similar prices. They all say that is what they are going for.....around $2K or a little more for near mint condition. That seems nuts to me. I work for Phillips and am trying to pry one away from a colleague of mine. Its a nice sign in good condition ( an S.P.S. 54). We are discussing a much, much more reasonable price.

Can y'all help me with the condition rating scale....examples of 8, 9, 9.5 etc. How much does it really affect the value......considerably I'm guessign just like any other area of collecting.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Roger,
Of course they will say that. They're the seller. Here are a few links to show another perspective:

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/47492415_phillips-66-shield-shaped-porcelain-sign

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/47492688_phillips-66-shield-shaped-porcelain-sign

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/47492794_phillips-66-porcelain-shield-shaped-sign

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/47492685_phillips-66-orange-and-black-shield-shaped-porcelain

This was a Morphy's auction last October. Granted, these all sold at the same time so maybe that depressed the prices a bit but Morphy's usually gets top dollar for stuff. It shows that deals are still available.

BrianH

Brian H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My apologies, my post above should have been addressed to Roger, not Tim. Got my names confused.

Hope all this info on the site helps you Roger. Enjoy the website.

Last edited by Speedracer; Mon Feb 13 2017 10:43 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved