Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
RayTay Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi all,
New to the forums, but ready to get started on learning about my project. My father and I are currently restoring our old Magnolia gas station in Albany, TX.
I've done a lot of research online for old images of Magnolia stations, and the best ones of course are black and white. I've seen the station online in Shamrock TX. Ours will probably come close to looking like that one, only with no mobile insignia. Do any of you know the colors I will need for the gas pumps and lubester? I've seen blue, red, green, white bases on the visible gas pumps. Would anyone know the correct color combination for mid 20s Magnolia pumps? Same question for lubesters. Seen lots of restores in all different color combinations. Not sure which are correct.
Raymond

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
RayTay Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Anyone have information on correct color combinations of Magnolia visible gas pumps, circa 1920s? Same question for lubesters. Seen lots of different variations, but which is correct?

N
nes Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
PCM's Guide to Gas Pump Restoration by Wayne Henderson and Scott Benjamin might be your best source for original pump color schemes. Magnolia visible color schemes appear on page 163. Magnolia Maximum Mileage Gasoline is shown as an all-red pump, including red base and top bonnet. Magnolia Anti Knock is shown as two tone - bottom half of pump is red, top half of pump is white with red top bonnet and red base. Magnolia Ethyl is shown as all white with red base and red top bonnet. You might contact Scott Benjamin via his website, http://www.gasglobes.com, and see if you can get a copy of the guide book. The book is also available on amazon.com.

R
RayTay Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Awesome! Thank you very much for this information!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ray-buy the book I think you'll be glad you did. I remember opening and paging through it and just thinking "wow" to myself. Very enlightening and thought provoking. Scott and Wayne are two guys that have contributed so, so much to our hobby.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We like pictures, so post your progress later in the showcase and stories section. Looks like a great survivor...

R
RayTay Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Sounds good. I'll for sure post updates. I wish I had some good before pictures. Didn't take my first ones until after we replaced the roof. The before and after of just that is already night and day.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That building is WAY COOL! Please keep us posted with progress as you restore.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
R
RayTay Offline OP
OP Offline
R
We're about ready to install the ceiling portion of the outside overhang/drive thru area. Does anyone in here know if they would have used long wood boards, or possibly the old style metal ceiling tiles? We've been trying to study pictures, and I can't tell what was used on the outside. The metal ceiling tiles were installed on the inside when we were tearing everything out for restore.

T
T
A lot of the older stations used a tongue and groove board about 4" wide if I remember correctly.

R
RayTay Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I got the book. I see the 3 different color combinations. I'm curious if anyone knows if there would be anything beyond these colors? I too often see green incorporated into restorations. Are those restores wrong, or just perhaps a different time period? Still trying to find the right color scheme for the building too.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved