Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
nochevys #680074 Tue Feb 21 2017 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm probably just going to hold for now and see if there is an adjustment at some point. I will probably sell off all my non Socony items and just focus on the one company moving forward since that is where I have been trying to concentrate my efforts lately anyways.

Got Socony???

Tom
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
nochevys #680089 Tue Feb 21 2017 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are still things out there that can be bought for a fair price. They are Not as easy to find as they once were but it is still possible. It just takes more time and effort. I would not buy something of a lesser quality unless you are happy with it.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Wes Maxwell #680269 Thu Feb 23 2017 11:48 AM
H
H
I am new to the hobby, but I have been into oil and gas since I was a kid in the early 1980's.

My dad is into cars and collectibles. I have recently inherited some of his prized items, but if I wanted to add to my collection prices are insane for some of the pieces I own.

Even last year, I started seriously collecting WHIZ / R.M. Hollingshead cans. I am up to around 60+ unique items. In the last 4 months, cans I paid $10-$20 are now $25-$50 for identical cans!

I say "Hold" if you are planning for the long haul, I say "sell" if you are wanting to retire soon and could put the money elsewhere while these items are bringing a premium.

Keep On Keepin' On.
Craig Osbeck #680308 Thu Feb 23 2017 05:48 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Well Said Craig. Very important thing to remember for us Senior collectors.I always tell my children I am going to be buried in my Camaro ! But I don't think that is going to happen.I Can only enjoy it while I am here.Same thing with the petro stuff.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
nochevys #680314 Thu Feb 23 2017 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I voted hold but Bob...lastgas15...offered some good advise.

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
nochevys #680578 Mon Feb 27 2017 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
become a brand collector and pick a small local brand! it will help with the budget issue, and will also make each and every find that much more enjoyable. The best thing I ever did, was started collecting Sweney. Things rarely surface, but when they do, I dont have to justify the purchase price to myself.

For that reason, I voted 'BUY'!

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
nochevys #682327 Tue Mar 14 2017 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Everyone has put forward valid points based on their personal circumstances. I didn't vote as I feel only you can truly answer this question as it pertains to you. Finances are a big part of determining the level at which we participate in this hobby. Lots of collectors are being forced out by the rising prices and the uncertainty of a market correction.

I also, find myself struggling with the whole collecting thing; for slightly different reasons then you. For me it's the time factor...I can't believe how much time each day I put into my collection. I retired early in order to continue collecting, moved to facilitate housing my collection under one roof. My entire existence seems to revolve around my collecting. Luckily, my wife is very supportive. I just hope, I'm not taking advantage of her kindness.

When planning my future, I have always placed a "0 dollar value" on my collection in order to safe guard myself if the market ever crashes. In the event of a market correction, there would be no lifestyle consequences.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved