Next Thread
Print Thread
#680954 Thu Mar 02 2017 08:06 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I've been searching this forum and the web for the answer to this and can't find it. I have seen both these signs at reputable auctions and cannot find if they are both legit or if one is fake. Notice the difference in lettering, lettering shading thickness, and the difference in interior space between within the letter H.

I want to collect original signs so I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

IMG_1367.JPG IMG_1368.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I have the drop shading like the lower sign. I believe that one is pre war and the other is newer.

B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By Tankar
I have the drop shading like the lower sign. I believe that one is pre war and the other is newer.

Thanks! I've been trying to get one of these for a few years now. They are usually too far away for me to drive. The one in the lower picture was at a local auction but I stopped bidding after the price hit $1,800. Once you added the 7% sales tax and 10% buyers premium it was beyond what I wanted to spend but it was in such nice condition that now I'm second guessing not pushing for it even though it was so expensive.

What's ironic is another sign I've wanted for a few years is a nice Quaker State tombstone DSP, but I see them on eBay all the time and am always afraid they are fakes. But they seem widely available, but also always too far away for me to drive and inspect.

I've never been to the Peotone, IL show and wonder if I could find either of these there, along with helpful people to make sure I get original?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is a good chance you would find both at peatone. Both are pretty common signs. But condition & price will always be a factor. Chris

B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By cggas
There is a good chance you would find both at peatone. Both are pretty common signs. But condition & price will always be a factor. Chris

Is the Peatone show just a cash only type show or do vendors accept personal checks? I prefer not to carry large sums of cash due to the questions banks are required to ask per federal regulation. I pulled cash for an old car once, about $7,000, and got the fifth degree on questions. Then when that deal fell through it was like being under the Spanish Inquisition for redepositing it. With all the focus on drugs/trafficking in this country us normal folks trying to use big cash are getting the screw.

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
You need a better bank, most dealers give there best price for cash sales,most will take checks but you get better prices with saying cash. Only take what your willing to spend,being a Sunday show banks are closed leaving you atms 160 limits even if you don't have a limit on cards.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I purchased one some years ago. I do not have a workshop but use my garage to hang my sign collection. I did not want to suspend the sign from the wall so I built a frame out of 2 by 4s that places the weight of the sign directly on the garage floor. Then I attached the frame to the wall. My Sinclair HC 6 foot sign is my favorite sign in my collection. Good luck with your search.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved