Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#681179 Sun Mar 05 2017 12:42 PM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
OK I know this has been discussed on here before but having an issue getting one off my 60. I have been on it with a pipe wrench and a three foot long cheater pipe and I can't budge it. Threads off counter clock wise right? Not sure what else to do.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Yes, counter clockwise. Sometimes heat and leverage is the only way. The nut removal tool is helpful as well.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
lots of Kroil maybe.

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Ok thanks. Never have seen how the nut removal tool would help other than getting a grip on it. How do you get any pressure on it with that?

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
More for if you're trying to save the nut without breaking off the tabs. If you don't care about that, pipe wrench is the way to go. Heat it up a little and put a 3' pipe on for leverage...it'll come off.

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Originally Posted By keithia
Ok thanks. Never have seen how the nut removal tool would help other than getting a grip on it. How do you get any pressure on it with that?

Grip and torque are the two key elements in removing anything threaded.

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Kieth: Most makers of the Wayne Nut Wrench put a square 1/2 hole in the handle. This is for you to put a 1/2 Breaker Bar or ratchet for leverage. If there is white putty-looking material visible around the nut base, carve that out with a razor knife. Pre-soak for a few days with Liquid wrench all around glass and nut, and finally a LITTLE heat around perimeter of the nut only. You are trying to by heat, expand the nut and break the seal. Quickly apply increasing pressure on the nut with the wrench before it cools. Once the nut moves, don't stop before all the way off. You may squirt a little oil on threads as nut comes off. You may have to reverse direction a little sometimes. Remember: "Lefty-Loosey, Righty-Tighty" or clockwise=tighten, counterclockwise=loosen. Go slow to avoid damage or injury. Ed.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
If Dick Bennett was still around he would remind you not to forget the beer. Richard

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
These were really tight on my Wayne 60. I used the sight glass removal nut from gas pump heaven, but when I put a cheater pipe on that square socket fitting it actually began to round out on the inside. So, I took a 3 lb sledgehammer to it. I hit the removal tool on the side of the tool where it flares out. I was able to get the nut to loosen by doing it that way. I didn't use any heat due to concern with breaking the sight glass. I did soak the threads with kroil beforehand.

BrianH

Brian H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Had the same problem with my ring wrench rounding out the corners so I welded on an old socket and have no problems since I did this.

IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0118.JPG IMG_0119.JPG

Have gas all the time
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good solution!

Brian H

Brian H
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks guys. I am going to take all these tips and go at it again. Those darn things are tight though!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I made this tool a while back it works good. Probably took a half hour once I found the right sized pipe. Since I made this, I think I found out that you can make one out of an oxygen tank safety cap-the screw on guard. Use a long-three foot concrete pin or solid pipe for leverage and a little heat You will be surprised when you see how much torque you can put on there when you are pushing and pulling with two hands. They came out with that cheesy tool after my original dilemma. I like mine better. Heres a link http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=208208#Post208208

Last edited by JimT; Mon Mar 06 2017 07:37 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jim, that is a great idea. You'll never break that thing!

BrianH

Brian H
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Still can't get this thing off. I have sprayed it, tried chipping out the putty but it is really hard and I have had a pipe wrench with a 3 foot long pipe on it and hit it with a sledge hammer and it still won't budge. Not sure what to do. I don't have anything to heat it with so I have not tried that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved