Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Wow, this thread really went full circle.
Neon I hope you saw my posting where I wasnt in any way trying to call out the seller on this. Which I now know is you. An Oldgas member. I just had NO IDEA that variations in the logo would ever have been allowed in such a piece as a globe that would be representing the company front and center. I would have thought this sort of thing was policed highly by the company. And assuming that all the globes on the CD are authentic, to me this ebay listing must be a repop.
Wow did I learn here!!
In the end, hopefully we've all learned a little and you get more action on your listing. grin

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By scottpcm
I was asked to take a look at this globe. There is no doubt it is different than most "Standard Gasoline" globes. In this hobby one must realized there were many different glass manufacturers of gas globes. Though they tried to make them all look identical, that rarely worked. "Made in USA" appears on many gas globes. Some have it, some do not and it does not raise a red flag on any globe. Sometimes when a gas globe was used outside our borders they had "Made in USA" on them but again not always the case. I have many Sinclair globes, among others, most all say, "REG. U.S. PAT. OFF" and I have one dated 1928 that has "Made in USA" on it so there shoots that theory...I went through several photos of "Standard Gasoline" globes I have personally owned and collectors that had sent me photos and I found one exactly like this one. I know that one was real because it had faint "paper marks" in the insert on the one side those are impossible to fake. I don't have the one on eBay in my hands. As long as the inserts are fired the globe should be fine. The color is right on. I don't know anyone that made this globe undated as a phony and the Canadian ones from decades ago well they did not make one of these...The globe should be fine just another variation from a different glass company. Scott Benjamin

I am no globe expert with designs, but I am pretty dang confident when holding a lense in person to know if it is old. The back holds a wealth of information. I learned a lot from attending shows, talking to people and comparing differences, which I think is one of the best ways to learn.

And I Completely agree with the above quote.. Couldn't have been said better.

Same goes for signs. There are signs that look exactly the same from a distance, but were from different manufacturers and have subtle differences. This does not make them repops.

Last edited by Speedracer; Wed Apr 05 2017 05:33 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Here's is my Standard Gasoline globe lens That I bought few years back , I was told that it was real because it has the alignment notch and it has that gritty sand paper feel to it on the back of it . I was cautious when I bought this, Because I know you can buy a repop from the Vics 66 catalog . But the price was right . It's a pretty globe when lit up .

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Steven C.
So glad you chimed in on this Scott!! However, your comments sure make things more confusing for this novice. Wow, so not all authentic globes are identical when it comes to portraying the company logo? That sure changes things a bit.
Well thanks for the clarification!!!

When a logo was used for a long time, or a company operated over a large area multiple suppliers were sometimes used and there were slight differences. Check out the differences in these H-C globes.

sinclair globes #2.JPG sinclair h-c  glass.JPG

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
We have identified at least 7 different colors of green in Sinclair H-C globes!!! It would drive anyone crazy. I chose to keep a later capco version in light green and an early glass version in very very dark green looks black. That's all I need...Scott B.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The phrase "Made in USA" that appears on a globe lens OFTEN but NOT ALWAYS indicates a globe lens that was used in Canada. The Standard lens that started the discussion was used by Standard of British Columbia, a subsidiary of Standard of California. Standard of BC had stations in BC and Yukon, and had close ties with the So Cal marketing in Alaska. Standard of BC had some "different" items. Pump plates. Slightly different Chevron lens, etc. I have not been able to distinguish between some of the versions, so they've not been specifically assigned in the book to Standard BC. This lens will be added, and specifically to a new Standard BC subsection.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By scottpcm
We have identified at least 7 different colors of green in Sinclair H-C globes!!! It would drive anyone crazy. I chose to keep a later capco version in light green and an early glass version in very very dark green looks black. That's all I need...Scott B.

I knew there were several variations on the shade of green but didn't know there were seven. I was sitting in my office one night and noticed a few differences in the two HC globes pictured above. There are over a dozen differences not counting the variations in the red and green!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Carolinatraveler
The phrase "Made in USA" that appears on a globe lens OFTEN but NOT ALWAYS indicates a globe lens that was used in Canada. The Standard lens that started the discussion was used by Standard of British Columbia, a subsidiary of Standard of California. Standard of BC had stations in BC and Yukon, and had close ties with the So Cal marketing in Alaska. Standard of BC had some "different" items. Pump plates. Slightly different Chevron lens, etc. I have not been able to distinguish between some of the versions, so they've not been specifically assigned in the book to Standard BC. This lens will be added, and specifically to a new Standard BC subsection.

Good, useful info!

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
It is mind blowing how much Wayne and Scott know about globes! And the hobby itself. Same for so many more of you.

Scott and Wayne, I wish you guys had a regular thread on here where you post monthly or weekly just some little strange tidbit along with source information. It would just be enjoyable to read.

BTW, I really need to get the latest copy of the CD!! And then I need to figure out how to fit that darn CD in my phone!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved