Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#684787 Sat Apr 15 2017 05:35 PM
K
KRASHED Offline OP
OP Offline
K
My father in law recently purchased a Fill Rite Series No 56.

He has been frustrated at not being able to find any information about them online.

He met a local gas pump guru who was adamant that it was a hastily slapped together collected piece that was assembled in someone's backyard.

He went as far to contact Fill Rite and he was sent the user manual for it. (Pictured below)

Any information would be appreciated.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...what information do you need, that you can't get from the manufacturer?...pumps like that were rarely used in a retail setting, and are of little collector interest...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have three different ads showing your unit available, contact me if you are interested in purchasing them.

Jack Sim
jhsim@petrocollect.com

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
K
KRASHED Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted By gulfiend!
...what information do you need, that you can't get from the manufacturer?...pumps like that were rarely used in a retail setting, and are of little collector interest...

Mostly just that this is actually a real pump. The one collector/gas pump know it all was positive that it was just something a guy slapped together on his own.

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
As I see it, the issue is the clock face above the electric pump? According to your company manual, the unit was built as seen in the drawing....[no clock face.] It does appear that a clock gallon counter was attached, where the hose exited the pump, at a later date? My take is that the unit is a mixture of real gas pump parts placed together to look inviting? It is interesting and not in a bad way. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Is it a real gas pump? Yes it really pumped gas . Was it used as a commercial gas pump at the corner gas station? No. These were (and still are) sold to people who just needed to move gasoline or diesel from one point to another. Farmers who had a small tank (100 gallons giver or take) or construction companies or trucking companies who needed to fuel their equipment needed a cheap pump to move fuel. There was not a need for a full size commercial pump with a computer or a meter, so these were made to fill a small private market. You still see these on pickup mounted tanks at construction sites. I have never seen one with that clock gage before, I'm not sure it's factory.

Last edited by Mike618b; Sun Apr 16 2017 06:22 AM.
K
KRASHED Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for all of the info so far. This page from the drawings appears to have the clock face gauge on it

Last edited by KRASHED; Sun Apr 16 2017 07:42 AM.
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Well now, If you had showed that page, there would have been nothing more to discuss. You had the information right in you hands. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By KRASHED
Thanks for all of the info so far. This page from the drawings appears to have the clock face gauge on it

...yeah, that's it...show that to your expert...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The 56 was made from the 1950s into the 1980s. The first version has a round clock face, the 2nd version has a square face.

Early items from this company was called the Fill-Rite, but the name of the company was Ossian Engineering Company, Inc. of Ossian, Indiana.

Sometime in the 1960s the company either changed its name or were bought out by Tuthill Pump Company of Ft. Wayne, Indiana where they are today.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sun Apr 16 2017 03:41 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved