Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#691434 Sun Jul 30 2017 12:37 PM
E
Ed48 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hello All, I'm new to the forum and to gas pumps. I've collected antique gas engines for about 15 years. I recently became the owner of a Gilbarco 900 Series gas pump. I have some shop experience, but this pump may be too far gone to restore. I'm requesting some guidance on whether this pump should be restored fully, to a 'patina' stage or salvaged. I like preserving history. I look forward to your responses. I will attempt to post some pictures or this post will not be very helpful:)
Thank you all,
Ed

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Ed48 #691436 Sun Jul 30 2017 12:39 PM
E
Ed48 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Here are some pics.

IMG_3556.JPG IMG_3557.JPG
Ed48 #691441 Sun Jul 30 2017 12:56 PM
L
ldj Offline
L
Originally Posted By Ed48
Hello All, I'm new to the forum and to gas pumps. I've collected antique gas engines for about 15 years. I recently became the owner of a Gilbarco 900 Series gas pump. I have some shop experience, but this pump may be too far gone to restore. I'm requesting some guidance on whether this pump should be restored fully, to a 'patina' stage or salvaged. I like preserving history. I look forward to your responses. I will attempt to post some pictures or this post will not be very helpful:)
Thank you all,
Ed

Ed,
What would you do with a gas engine if you found one in the condition of this gas pump?
Well that is what you should do with this pump IE. what ever pleases you.

Ed48 #691446 Sun Jul 30 2017 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Geez, clear coat and let it be! That is one nice pump as is. But that's just me.

Have gas all the time
Ed48 #691468 Sun Jul 30 2017 07:53 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Welcome to Oldgas! Looks like it was in the weeds one side down. Maybe needs a base and for sure one door. Save it pretty common pump makes it easier to find parts. Sure as with anything we want the better condition to start with but thats not always the case. List parts needed in want to buy section.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Ed48 #691536 Mon Jul 31 2017 07:04 PM
E
Ed48 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks everyone. If it were a rusty engine I would use my experience in determining the likelihood of locating parts and costs of the same....there would be a judgement based on my experience. This will be my first experience and I would like to make the best decision for the pump.

I like the idea of clear coating it as is, but will it continue to rust? I might out-live the pump rusting away, but I would like to preserve it. Can I preserve it the way it is?

Since I have projects on the bench already, perhaps I'll spend my down time searching for parts. Then when it's turn arrives, I'll apply whatever parts I may have acquired and finish it. So it could end up being a full restore or a partial with some clear coating.

Thanks,
Ed

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved