Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#691804 Fri Aug 04 2017 08:10 PM
J
Joe13 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi,

Went to Iowa Gas for the first time. Finally got two old signs (pump plates) and a globe to start a collection after years of admiring others.

Nothing fancy, all entry level stuff, but thats where I'm at and I like what I found. I enjoyed walking around the show, most people were really friendly and eager to talk, even after they found out I was a newbie. I found everyone I purchased from was open to reasonable offers.

I got there on Thursday, found out from someone that I missed quite a bit by not being there on Wednesday, as many people left after the auction and with the threat of rain on Thursday (turned out to be ok weather after 9am). I'll have to plan better next year.

Thanks for all the advice on this site, It's great to have such a resource. It's how I was able to make reasonable offers on things, and I already had some items in mind and about what I should expect to pay.

Now...have to hang my signs in the garage and get some lamp parts to light up that globe smile

Hope everyone else had a good time, I probably met some of you.

-Joe

IMG_0393.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hopefully who ever sold you that Pure Oil ppp told you that it was a reproduction!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
J
Joe13 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
No, they didn't. When I got home I was a little suspicious, but being new thought it was alright. What gave it away?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Square corners.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well, when you plan your trip for next year I think I know the first vendor you are going to visit. Don't be discouraged, your initial selections are very good to start with. Glad you had a good time and found some of what you were looking for, and remember everyone has been fooled a couple of times.

Last edited by Done4; Sat Aug 05 2017 12:39 PM. Reason: Word change

Have gas all the time
J
Joe13 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Ok, thanks. Guess I'll go write repo on n the back. Guy said he'll be there next year, maybe I should try give him his sign back. He had a bunch of small signs in a crate. Probably bangs them up and sets the whole thing out in the rain for a year.

He had a completely rusted Texas 66 Hwy sign, my dad thought it was pretty neat, I thought it was too small to have been used on a hwy, now I know I'm right.

I was surprised to see so much repo stuff there, a lot was marked, either by the seller or by the licensed product printed on the item.

Live and learn. Thanks for the education!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Joe, 99% of the route 66 signs you will see are fake. Probably the most re-popped sign of them all. Be VERY cautious if you're looking to buy one and do tons of research first. If possible, look at some in a museum or something that are authentic to get an idea what real ones look like. Also keep in mind that they changed a bit over the 60 years or so they were made for the old highway.

BrianH

Brian H
J
Joe13 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Will do, thank you!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's a good place to start as a collector Joe.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=21

Can you remember where the seller was at IG so we can find out who it was?

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Hi, Joe. If you have any idea of the space number of that vendor who sold you the unmarked repro Pure pump plate, PM me with that information. I have the registrants' directory here, and may be able to provide you with contact info for this person. That way, you could contact this guy before a year passes. John

J
Joe13 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have a pretty good idea where he was set up in the parking lot, I'll try to post a map and mark the spot later tonight. Thanks.

C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
WOW, another reason people who are in the hobby do not buy online or even at meets anymore. Repro stuff at Iowa, Terrible and Terrible that the meet people allow this to happen. I do not even want to buy much anymore because of this type of stuff and the ebay Crooks.
O well, let's just take a look at the hobby 10 years from now when the new guys now are the older guys then. What do you think that they will know when it comes to repro vs original?

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When I use to go to Iowa, there was a strick rule that everything was original and venders who had reproductions there was two options, put them back in the truck or leave. Simple and straight forward. I know it's hard to police this ***** but come on! Very disappointing to say the least. This venue is becoming a flea market!

Have gas all the time
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Well said Done4 , Should still be that way. The good old days !!! GONE, GONE.

J
Joe13 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Here is the area where I remember the vender being set up in the lot. He had a camper/trailer and tables set up in front of the side door of his trailer, facing west, younger thin white male with a young girl with him, maybe 10 or so, I figured it was his daughter. In case someone happens to know who it is, would be nice to discuss the matter with him.

While I am disappointed, I'm not discouraged.

Thanks to Mike for he link to info for new collectors!

-Joe

iowagas.jpg
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved