Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Pablo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Anybody else having problems with today's Aumann Auctions "Great Texaco & Petroliana Auction"?? My bids have been ignored on several items even after they appeared in the onscreen "message center". I'm using DSL, not dialup. I called Proxibid and they acknowledged having an internet bidding problem.

AGAIN??? I had the same problem last week on the Rex Benson auction. Matter of fact, I lost a Tenneco pump plate in similar fashion in BOTH auctions!! Both sellers and buyers lose out with this nonsense. I'm totally disgusted!!

Paul

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
You are not alone, I know I had the same problem both auctions as well, and I am broadband as well.I finally just gave up trying this week, as my bids just wouldn't be taken.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
The 1963 transitional Fire-Chief Pump Sign was the one that sent me into orbit. I was mashing the bid button so hard that I almost broke my mouse. And it's not like I was trying to "time" or "snipe" the bid....I was trying to bid 10 seconds before they closed. Then at lot #68 it locked up tight and wouldn't come back up so I went back to the work bench. I pray to God that Bidspotter is on top of their game in two weeks...I've got 6 phone lines run for them, dial-up & broadband, so I'm hoping it goes well. I don't anything any of the online auction co.'s are immune to problems.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I agree with all of you this auction was another Proxibid nightmare!!! No audio for most of the auction. Without audio you don't have a clue of what's going on. I was bidding on one item and pushed the button 3 times and they still sold it without taking my bid! Other items I had the bid on and they backed up and sold them cheaper. Totally frustrating!!!
Bob

Seth
Bidspotter has got to be better!!

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
i totally agree my bid was accepted but they so it less to and on site bid @@#$$%%^&& ck

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I'm not gonna count my chickens.....but they are going to get a real stern talkin' to!

M
M
Seth, I had the same problem on the the Transitional Fire Chief. It took my first bid but wouldn't refresh and take any subsequent bids.

When the audio was working, I noticed it was ahead of proxy-bid at times on several items. And on some items Proxy-bid didn't give you a chance to bid on at all.

Later on, I had no problem bidding, so it was kinda hit or miss today.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I had the same thing happen to me on few idems I did not get. I got a globe & 2 signs so I am happy with that. Also my sound went out about half way through & I could not get it to go back on. It was my first time doing it through Proxibid & I think they could work out a few bugs but over all enjoyed it.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
had the same problem to even left a prebid friday night called and they said the inter net was down the item got passed then checked again later in the day and was sold i also have dsl

I didn't bid during this last auction, but the previous two Aumann - Proxibid auctions, I had good experiences and won items I wanted. I did have problems with the auctioneer audio. It was not syncronized with the bidding on the screen and was choppy and erratic. I turned the audio off because it was confusing to me.

I've got a 3 meg broadband cable connection and the latest versions of the required plug-ins. If a user does not have the latest Flash plug-in, there could be problems. Even with the best equipment and software on both ends, there are things that can happen over the Internet that can cause intermittent delays and loss of parts of a transfer of information. I hope that gets better as new technology develops.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
P
Pablo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Jim,
I question that the problem is entirely an internet technical glitch. For example, I bid on item #202, a Tenneco pump plate. I was actually high bidder at one point, was outbid and immediately placed another bid. My subsequent bid showed instantly in the onscreen "message center". After several lost items, I called Proxibid and they acknowledged having an internet bidding problem. The lady also checked two particular sign auctions I should have won and acknowledged that my bids were entered but had no explanation as to why they were ignored by the auctioneer.

So, there appears to be bigger problems with Proxibid and/or the auctioneer that must be worked out for future online auctions. This is very frustrating and unacceptable for both buyers and sellers.

Paul

I didn't mean that the Internet was the main cause, just to point out that it was a significant component. There are actually four main components.

* The online bidder has to have his software, hardware and Internet connection all working their best.
* The Internet has to transfer back and forth quickly and without fail.
* Proxibid has to have all their technology working right.
* The online bidding computer guy and live auctioneer have to be on top of all bids from onsite, online and some possibly from telephone bidders.

Any slip on any of those can cause a bid to be delayed or not handled as intended. Sounded like your case was really messed up on the receiving end. The auction house has a lot of motivation to have things working right. The more bids coming in usually means more commissions for them in addition to satisfying both seller and bidders.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
R
R
I have bid on Auman Auctions over the past couple of years and have DSL with a high end Dell system. I also have a problem with Proxie Bid. I had no problem with Auman's other internet provider they used for Roy's auction a couple of years ago. I also had a problem on The Great Texaco auction; my bid on lot #230 showed on the message board but the item was sold onsite. I sent proxie a message about it but as of yet, no responce from them. I usually have no problem though after loading the current Java program. I will say, in my opion, that bidding ahead of the live auction is to me a total waste of time. There system does not allow you to place a higher back up bid if you are the high bidder already. I lossed a lot I really wanted on Rex's auction last week end. Imagine watching the live on your computer thinking you have the lot only to see it go onsite for peanuts! I called proxie and they said I had just $25 on the lot, even though I placed a $240 bid ahead of the live auction; which did not show on proxies site. The lot went for $30.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think the heading on this thread is misleading. I was at several Aumann auctions and I always thought they were first rate. I wish they would do the auction at Iowa Gas. They have good advertising, have the item set out on display and up on a screen. A proffessional set up.
Internet bidding on the other hand does leave somjething to be desired. If you have the combination of the internet, computer set up/ software issues and adding people into the link, there will be problems.
At least Aumann is trying to get it to work so the sale items are available to more people.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
P
Pablo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Well, the Aumann Auctions may be great if you attend the live auction. In fact, they may be just peachy since the onsite bidders get great bargains!! But the fact is, many collectors can't or won't attend when internet bidding is an option, especially if long distance travel is involved. That tends to further shrink the size of the onsite crowd and makes it extremely important that the auctioneer coordinates the bidding process well. If the problems can't be resolved then internet bidding should be eliminated.

That's my additional 2c.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved