Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#697140 Sat Oct 21 2017 02:34 PM
Jcarp Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello I just registered from Missouri. I hope 2 get some information and learn some new things. I recently found a Skelly Aromax Gasoline sign at work barried under a foot of dirt. Hoping someone could tell me a bit about it. It's 30" double sided and can't find many like it online. From what I have saw it may be 1930's and may be pretty rare. Hoping I found a great item. Thanks for all information I can get.

Last edited by Oldgas Moderator; Sat Oct 21 2017 03:42 PM. Reason: Moved question to General Petroliana Discussion
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jcarp #697142 Sat Oct 21 2017 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome aboard .. ... cool

RANDY
#697144 Sat Oct 21 2017 02:50 PM
Jcarp Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi I found a Skelly Aromax sign at work barried under a foot of dirt. I was hoping 2 find someone with a little knowledge about it. I have searched online and can't find many like it. I saw one at this collector car/auto collector page as a main picture. But really can't find much information about it. I think it may be 1930's from what I saw. It's a great sign and I like it. Can't believe I pulled it from the tomb it was barried in. Really hoping I found a great treasure from back in the day. I just registered so I'll try 2 upload a picture but this format will take getting used 2.Says picture size is 2 large. Thanks for any help please.

Jcarp #697147 Sat Oct 21 2017 03:42 PM
Jcarp Offline OP
OP Offline
Adding pictures are hard.

aromax7.png
Jcarp #697148 Sat Oct 21 2017 03:43 PM
Jcarp Offline OP
OP Offline
Freshly pulled from it's dirt tomb

IMG_20171020_120501383_crop_80x80.jpg
Jcarp #697149 Sat Oct 21 2017 03:55 PM
Jcarp Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone know anything about this sign? Please feel free 2 reply to this post please. Very curious about it. Any help/information is very much appreciated?

#697166 Sat Oct 21 2017 08:19 PM
Jcarp Offline OP
OP Offline
Well I done a search of all Skelly available posts and it shows none available. Which is weird because first time I done it showed a whole page of results. But anyone have an idea of the value of this sign I found?

aromax7.png
#697167 Sat Oct 21 2017 08:22 PM
Jcarp Offline OP
OP Offline
Sign is 30 inches in diameter. It's double sided and the front and back are about the same. Looks really old. Anyone care 2 value it for me?

aromax7.png
#697168 Sat Oct 21 2017 08:26 PM
Jcarp Offline OP
OP Offline
Wondering if anyone can put a value on my sign I found. It's 30 inches in diameter double sided. I have searched and searched and have not came up with much. If any Skelly guys on here care 2 let me know what I have please. I have searched the search engine on here and it comes back with nothing. Not even my own posts about it???

aromax7.png
#697170 Sat Oct 21 2017 08:36 PM
Jcarp Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm new on here. I have searched online and can't find one. I have search skelly in here (on the sites search engine of all posts) and not a one with Skelly Aromax? I really do t know. I love the sign. And would consider getting more. But it looks like a really expensive hobby. With that being said can anyone help put a insurance appraisal on this sign I have? It's a little work because of it's afe and was barried in dirt for God only knows. The front and back are identical with fading and a bit of rust. But I kinda like it. Any help would be great.

aromax7.png
#697173 Sat Oct 21 2017 09:01 PM
Jcarp Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi I've put up a couple posts about a sign I found. Anyone know anything about this company (Skelly)? Did Texaco come from it or something? I have looked everywhere eBay, auction houses and wikapedia. I can't find anything. I would love 2 get a appraisal value for insurance purposes. I have no intention of getting rid of it. As I found it at work in a weird kinda way. I can't get my post approved on here on the value thread. I'm wanting 2 know and for a insurance appraisal value. Would be nice 2 know exactly what I have? I came here for help please if anyone reading this knows, I would like 2 learn about it.

Jcarp #697177 Sun Oct 22 2017 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
.. ... cool
Here's a brief history of The Skelly Company:

William G. Skelly founded Skelly Oil Company in 1919, which became one of the world's largest independent oil companies. He also founded Spartan School of Aeronautics and Spartan Aircraft Company. He launched the International Oil Exposition.

William G Skelly founder of the Skelly Oil Company came to be known as "Mr. Tulsa". In the 1920's he turned his business into one of the world's largest independent oil companies. He was one of the wealthiest men in the country and was very aware of the "modern" America and its new technologies. Skelly had a great interest in aeronautics. The Skelly Oil Company sponsored both The Air Adventures of Jimmie Allen and Captain Midnight. Both Series based around aviation. Skelly's wealth allowed him to pursue this interest by his founding of the Spartan Aircraft Company which was started as an aeronautical college and airplane manufacturer.

From 1934 to 1958 an area two miles northwest of Cunningham was known as Skellyville. Oil and gas wells were discovered on "Poverty Ridge" in 1931. Skelly Oil Company erected a gasoline plant the latter part of 1933. Actual processing operations began in April 1934. This was during the Depression and a lifesaver for the Cunningham community.

Offices for the production and pipeline departments of Skelly Oil were also a part of the area. During the construction period, a restaurant flourished in the settlement. About thirty men were employed at the plant during peak operation.

Over twenty homes were located in Skellyville. Some were company owned and others were owned privately. Included in the area was the large farm home of Frank Miles. Skellyville was built on land leased from him.

In May 1958, the gasoline plant closed. Depletion of the gas supply in the wells caused the closing. Four men, Ray Amick, Guy Remy, Jake Kees, and Glen Pearson worked during the full time the plant was in operation. After the closing, Ray Amick remained as sole employee for a short time, as security guard. The homes were removed and the plant dismantled.

The production department is still in operation This department takes care of the company owned oil wells. Thirty were employed by this department; now there are only thirteen. An office is maintained in the Skellyville area, but it is no longer Skelly, Getty Oil Co. bought Skelly Oil Company in 1977. All former Skelly employees are now Getty employees. Jim Parkhurst heads the Getty production department in the area.

The third department of the operation, the pipe-line department, is still operating on a limited basis. Ivan Cain is in charge. The department is operated from the refinery in El Dorado.

The name of Skelly Oil Co. is nearly a thing of the past. When Getty Oil took over, gradually the name of each operation was changed. Now Texaco Oil is in the process of purchasing Getty Oil and all will change again. The name Skelly still exists in the name of Skellytown, Texas, and the Skelly Building in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

RANDY
#697881 Tue Oct 31 2017 07:38 PM
Jcarp Offline OP
OP Offline
Aromax Gasoline any value of this sign. Im interested on appraisal value for insurance purposes. All emails will be a log. I would say this is the best supporting expert opinions out there? Am I wrong? I don't think so.. Thanks for any information I can sponge. Jcarp

aromax7.png
Jcarp #697882 Tue Oct 31 2017 07:50 PM
Jcarp Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for your vast knowledge on the matter Randy. It was a absolute pleasure 2 read. I still wanna know what it may be worth?. Do you care 2 Express your appraisal expertise as well? I have email logs and this should be significant for insurance. As in my research this is the place 2 be in that kind of thing. Thanks again Jcarp

Jcarp #697883 Tue Oct 31 2017 08:14 PM
A written professional appraisal for insurance purposes is available from Petroleum Collectibles Magazine.

http://pcmpublishing.com/shop/products.php?cat=11

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved