Next Thread
Print Thread
#697256 Mon Oct 23 2017 04:20 AM
W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
Hello all, I was just wondering if there is a way to tell the difference between the original metal bodies for globes and the new bodies that are being made

Thank You

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
B
I do not know how the original ones were manufactured. However, I recently purchased the aluminum reproduction version from gas pump heaven. It was manufactured by using the "spinning" process. It's a way of making a rounded surface out of a flat piece of metal, sort of like how a person uses a spinning wheel to form a clay pot. I'm certain they used the spinning process because you could see fairly deep grooves around the circumference of the globe where the wheel was contacting the metal. The grooves were big enough to see and feel with your hand. You could not just paint it, you had to coat it with body filler first, then wet sand.
So, look inside the globe, maybe you'll see those spinning marks on the inside where they didn't use body filler, or maybe they even didn't paint the inside.

W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
Thank you for the information. if new ones are aluminum, can I just use a magnet and tell the difference between metal and aluminum?

W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
Thank you for the information. if new ones are aluminum, can I just use a magnet and tell the difference between metal and aluminum?

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
The aluminum bodies are spun and the steel bodies are press stamped. Both are available as reproductions.

W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
Thank you for the information

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved