Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#703844 Sun Feb 04 2018 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A couple years back, I was able to buy a VELTEX themed gas pump from my good friend "Swabby" out in Idaho. I've always been a fan of the Veltex company and their advertising items, and this fit in perfectly for me. It was a Tokheim 39 tall with 4 ad glass, in terrific condition with original paint and another bonus--it was an original stationlighter pump!
I love stationlighter pumps and I had thought it would be fairly easy to find a lighter to put on the top! NOT that easy, I found out! I searched and searched, and I found a couple that I could buy if I purchased the complete pump, but they sure weren't in stellar condition by any means. I decided to wait it out and advertise my search here on Old Gas, and to spread the word amongst other gas pump collectors, in the hope that something would eventually turn up? It didn't take long to realize that there were a heck of a lot of other collectors looking for the same item and my chances of success were pretty slim!
I had about given up, and had actually priced the pump a couple of times to individuals that chanced thru my shop. It was something I had kind of given up on and was rapidly coming up on the "sell that thing" list! LOL, THAT'S WHEN IT HAPPENED!
I was looking thru the for sale ads on Old Gas, as I usually do every day, and I'm sure many of the rest of you do too, because I am often late for a really good deal that someone else has just spoken for! I chanced on an ad that Dan McFadden had placed for a couple of really nice Texaco Skychief pump plates! Now, these are a fairly common item, but I have always thought of these as one of the nicest looking and colorful pump plates out there! These are often overlooked because of the vast amount available but the Texaco people did a fantastic job designing this plate and I have always admired them. These two plates of Dans had a special attraction to me, as they were not only in 9+ condition, they were dated 1948, the year I was born. Now, I really didn't need more Skychief plates , as I have a few already, but I decided to contact Dan and make an offer for both of them. Dan was very gracious and accepted my offer and then the conversation turned to other collectibles, as is often the case when collectors get together and talk about items they have seen! The conversation dragged on for some time and we were about to end the phone call when Dan told me that he was going to get busy and get back on Old Gas and list another item. Curious, I asked what the item might be and just about fell out of my chair when Dan told me that it was a Tokheim 39 stationlighter! There was a big pause in the conversation while I got my breath back and I slowly told him about my search and how long it had been. I asked him for pictures and told him that I would take it if it looked the way he had described it. He assured me that it would and the next day I had the pictures as promised. Not only was the lighter itself in great condition, there were several more items included in the package. This was a "complete" stationlighter with an original Tokheim 39 top, the mounting assembly, the electrical piping, the double switch assembly, and even a stationlighter pump tag! Everything needed to convert a regular 39 into a stationlighter pump! Turns out that it had been repainted in the past, but the colors would work out just fine for my pump, so I got back on the phone with Dan and made arrangements to have him ship it and the two Skychief plates to me.
This whole thing was a total surprise to me because of the fact that I had kind of given up on ever finding a stationlighter for my pump, and maybe its just old age getting to me and I don't try as hard anymore? I pondered the whole scenario for some time and wondered why this had happened? Was it FATE, or were the gas pump gods watching over me? I have been very fortunate over the years in my quest for the elusive "RARE GAS PUMPS", and have always resigned to the fact that diligence and fate play a big part in it. Of course, there's that thought about the "Gas Pump Gods" too??? I wonder??? LOL

The first three pictures are of my Veltex pump and the last picture shows the new "Lighter" attachment that I got from Dan! Thank you DAN!!!

IMG_4006.JPG IMG_4008.JPG IMG_4011.JPG Stationlighter.jpg
Last edited by K W FRITH; Sun Feb 04 2018 11:39 AM.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
Congratulation . Great story

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great story Kevin....glad you finally got that special part for your Tokheim pump. It's great when the right parts come together in one place to make a nice piece.

BrianH

Brian H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
stumbled on too that - you never know from day too day, great acquisition & story .. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Congratulations! Looks great Kevin!

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Kevin, Nothing like the feeling you get when you find something you have been trying to find for a long time. Maybe it is fate, or just good things happen to good people. Either case, congratulations!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is great, glad you finally got the "Liter" for your pump. I remember when you were looking. There must be " Gas Pump Gods" because something similar happened to me. I bought a Wayne 70 station lighter and wanted a 39 Station Liter to go with it. Less than a week later one popped up here on Oldgas. I bought it to convert a pump I already had. It got better because the aluminum bonnet was destroyed and before I received the parts my wife spotted a porcelain 39 bonnet at a antique store. Maybe it was luck or fate like you said. I am sure there are many of us that have been as happy as you are right now and have been in the past with the treasures you have found.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Congrats Kevin,good things happen to good people.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Great story, sometimes it makes you wonder. Glad you got it.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome story Kevin! Glad it worked out.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thats great Kevin. When do you think you'll br be putting it together? I'd like to see it together!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
T
Kevin aren't you glad I did not buy it a few weeks ago? Lol! It will look great with that on it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Congrats !

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
UPDATE!! I finally got a little time in between ice fishing trips on the frozen lake, and decided to get the stationlighter mounted onto the pump where it belongs! All of the parts were in such nice shape that it didn't take me long to get up and in place. I thought I had better post some pictures of the finished product since a few had asked for them! The pump is back in the lineup again! You can kind of tell that I like stationlighters! LOL

IMG_4548.JPG IMG_4550.JPG IMG_4551.JPG
Last edited by K W FRITH; Wed Mar 14 2018 12:41 PM. Reason: rotate pics

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looking good my friend! Got to take a trip up to see you one of these days to see you and the warden and your collection in person.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved