Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#708386 Sat Apr 21 2018 01:21 PM
RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
So when I display different items of petroliana, I like to keep items from the same company (their associates and subsidiaries, included) displayed together in their respective area, be it in a case, on a shelf or its piece of a wall. This got me thinking on where certain tire brands (I say brands as, for example, I would consider Federal Tires associated with Tide Water, but not necessarily Fisk Tire Co despite Federal being a division of Fisk at some point...gets a bit confusing) should be displayed as some were associated with various oil companies at different times and others, presumably, were not. I was curious if there was a list somewhere on this site of something like this or, if not, if we could start one. I will list a few off the top of my head that I know of and if anyone else could throw some out there, something can be compiled as a reference for any members looking for the info....again, if not already somewhere on the site.

As a collector of Michelin, I’d be very curious if they were ever associated with any oil companies. I know overseas they had FINA, Mobiloil and others brand a select number of maps, but that’s a little different. Any way....

Tide Water Associated Oil Co - Federal Tires

Lion Oil Co - Kelly Tires

Standard Oil Co - Atlas Tires

Cities Service Oil Co - Acme Tires

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good idea, Phillips 66 - Lee. That's it for me right now but ya got me thinking. Thank you.

Last edited by Done4; Sat Apr 21 2018 03:38 PM. Reason: Missing word

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know Signal was Lee .. ... cool

RANDY
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
According to Wikipedia Mobil sold Mobil Premiere tires in the 40's and 50's.

RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Looks like Lee was in bed with a few companies:

Signal Oil Co. - Lee Tires

Phillips Petroleum Co. - Lee Tires

Hickock Oil Corp. - Lee Tires

The Atlantic Refining Co. - Lee Tires

Looks like I can’t go back and edit the original post to add these in, is there any way Admins can unlock that feature so I can keep adding to the original list instead of doing so in new comments/replies? Or any tricks I don’t know of that will allow me to do so?

And wayno48, I know there were companies like Gulf, Socony Vacuum, Phillips Petroleum (pretty sure they had Phillips 66 Tires at some point) and even Tide Water (Flying A Tires) that branded their own tires under the same names they gave their oil/gas products i.e. Mobil Tires, Gulf Tires, etc. We can add those to the list depending on the general consensus, or just add the more loosely connected brands that don’t run under the same main name brands that their other products run on.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pure Oil - Yale Tires

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I maybe wrong but I remember Union 76 sold Uni Royal ?

Y
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Y
Union 76 had MINUTEMAN tires. Minuteman 1 -- 2 -- 3 and 4s. Not sure who actually made them. I will go look on one I have.

Collect UNION 76 items only. Contact me if you have any interesting items for sale.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by RedHat
Looks like I can’t go back and edit the original post to add these in, is there any way Admins can unlock that feature so I can keep adding to the original list instead of doing so in new comments/replies? Or any tricks I don’t know of that will allow me to do so?

A ‘trick’ I do for the list of scammers on eBay, is I keep it in an excel spreadsheet document. Then every time I update it, I just ad to my excel spreadsheet and then cut and paste it on a new reply here on old gas. Which is nice because I can also sort it alphabetically.

-Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sinclair and Goodyear.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gilmore OIl - Norwalk Tires

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I have to say that this type of thread is one of the things I enjoy most about this site. I like learning about all the different subjects outside my collecting area of focus. Having said that please understand I do not know if Riverside Tire was formally associated with Champlin or not, but I recently sold this set of Champlin Shakers and Riverside Tires was advertised on the back. I'll have to look through my collection to see if any others advertise a brand of tires or not, but I don't recall any others off the top of my head. For your enjoyment!

Champlin A.jpg Champlin B.jpg

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Was there a specific tire brand that texaco carried?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I recall Riverside was a Sears brand, I think. I do have a Riverside sign and I'll check tomorrow.

Have gas all the time
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Riverside was Wards tires

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved