Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Got jacked up on its journey through Eastern Europe, sadly eek. I know a few members fix quarts but this is a tad different job. Would prefer it not being cut open, but if someone had to, maybe cut open the bottom and reweld it after dents are fixed, who knows. If you are confident you can work some magic, let me know the time frame and price.

Any recommendations for a derusting bath while we’re at it? This one could use a good 24 hour soak.

Thank you for looking, any help is greatly appreciated!

629F4D08-A9EA-47C1-85CB-DB30938B14DD.jpeg 971D26D8-C208-4E66-B88F-D7546CF38A79.jpeg 296407A3-7D37-41DC-AB84-F2D7A9945457.jpeg
Last edited by RedHat; Sat May 12 2018 05:47 PM.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Soak it in Evaporust.
Joe

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by model72
Soak it in Evaporust. Joe

this would be a start - then see if you want too proceed, can may not be worthy of saving - "depending on rarity"

I've done this once by cutting bottom out using a small military opener & using epoxy too put the bottom back on- came out pretty good but wasn't

in shape as can of subject .. ... cool

RANDY
RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sounds good, I appreciate the responses. I’ll take a crack at the bath in Evaporust and go from there. I can’t say I’ve seen another from Yugoslavia so I’m hoping I can save it. Never know

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
To remove either bottom or top lids I use a safety can opener which cuts along the outer lip and not the body of the can. This way part of the lip is retained and you don't have a sharp metal edge which could give you a nasty cut. You could also try on the rust a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar. It has worked for me on rusty flat metal though I haven't tried it on a large can yet.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This might sound kinda funny , and I probably wont live this down , but Id put my lips on there and blow. lol. Put some air pressure in and kind of manipulate the steel with your fingers... worth a try. Make sure you look in the mirror when your done before you go into public. You might have a ring around your lips!

RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Lol sure did make me laugh, Jim. Better close the garage door before the neighbors think I’m guzzling Motor oil. I’ve heard of people having good luck with popping dents out of two gallons using air, might just work out. I’m not sure how much luck I’d have working it with my hands, unfortunately, it’s a much thicker metal than the quarts and two gallons we see over here. I honestly think someone stepped on the box with some purpose to bend it up like it is.

I was almost thinking to drop some dry ice in there which should expand the air sealed inside without the need of compressed air...but that’s in theory. With my luck I’d blow a hole out the side, haha.

And I’m amazed vinegar works at derusting, Cooper. I’ve actually used it to rust new shelf brackets and give them a decent patina.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Might try filling with water and freezing it.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
P
P
I think you'll find that blowing air into a can will cause only the UNDENTED areas to bulge outward. The dented areas maintain their indent because the metal was stretched or "worked" in the process of being pushed inward. Pressurized air put into the can presses on ALL areas with equal pressure. The UNDENTED areas now take less pressure to move them outward than do the "stressed" dented areas. So dents stay put and undented surfaces bulge outward.

One technique that might produce somewhat satisfactory results would be to build a heavy wooden box completely around the can and then introduce the air. The box would keep non-dented areas from expanding while allowing dented areas to return to original shape.

You can test this science by trying the first "air technique" on a junker can...........

Last edited by petrofanz; Tue May 15 2018 09:42 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved