Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Here are some questions for consideration about “reproduction” signs.

I know the concern over reproduction porcelain signs from other countries. My question is, “Are many of these signs not reproductions but rather original signs native to another country?” For instance, I see a lot of Esso signs from India and Brazil. Was Esso not selling gas and oil in these countries and were their advertising signs produced in those countries?

Would this not be a legitimate market much like those found in England etc.? Are these native signs the one we are labeling as “reproduction” signs? Or are the “fake” signs different than these? Which ones are the ones we are calling “fakes” which are meant to deceive and bring profit to individuals much like counterfeit currency?

For me the lines kind of blur at this point. Any thoughts to help me “unblur” these lines would be welcome food for thought.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most are mass produced newly made signs to sell in the United States made in India.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
If it was a sign for use in their country, would it not use their spelling and language. Like here we use tire, they may use tyre. Gasoline or Petrol my spelling is not very good but I think you get the idea

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This isn't a USA specific problem it is global.The UK, Australia, and Canada are all awash in India repops that are specific to that countries spelling, language and products.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
My rule is 'stay away from signs if I can't identify them as originals'. Too many collectors burnt with fakes. My experience is MOST out of India are fakes.

Last edited by Gasoline George; Sun May 27 2018 06:54 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved