Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#711253 Sun Jun 10 2018 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sorry to bother everyone with this question about a common sign, but I can’t find anywhere on-line (or old gas) what company this sign belongs to. I’ve heard people say Pure, Marathon and Mobil. Please help.

Thank you all for your help,
Steve

823E0E6F-5D21-42D1-9D17-86089484137F.jpeg
Last edited by Speedracer; Sun Jun 10 2018 09:44 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
.. ... cool

1clnrrsn.jpg

RANDY
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thank you Randy for the quickest response in Old Gas history that included a picture smile smile smile

Very kind of you.

Thanks again
-Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Sun Jun 10 2018 09:47 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
As seen, Mobil for sure....they also used the sign in magazine advertisements at the time.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Man Steve, even I knew that one. grin

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Was this sign exclusive to Mobil? I was told mine cane out if a Cooper tire shop.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Somewhere I have an ad for this sign and I believe it was a generic sign and sold to anyone who wanted to buy one or a truckload.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Someone told me it was PURE and another person told me it was Mobil. That is why I asked originally.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Jack Sim
Somewhere I have an ad for this sign and I believe it was a generic sign. Jack Sim

the picture I posted shows this sign being used on a mobil station-
I believe I've seen this sign used on some Union 76 & Richfield stations .. ... cool

RANDY
G
G
Originally Posted by Speedracer
Thank you Randy for the quickest response in Old Gas history that included a picture smile smile smile

Very kind of you.

Thanks again
-Steve

That's a beautiful picture from, I think, North Hollywood during the Eisenhower or Kennedy years. It's a few years before my time, but I've been interested in that era and its automotive culture ever since I cam acroos this article almost a year and a half ago about an East Coast phenomenom.

"For Giants fans, it's a lifelong commitment," Renstrom said. "Some would call it a sickness."

A sickness that actually made the Connecticut economy healthier on Sundays in the 1960s. Back then, home games were blacked out in local markets even if they were sold out. That meant people crossed the borders from New York to Connecticut to watch the Giants on what was then known as WTIC-TV, Channel 3, a CBS station.

It became a ritual for fans to visit bars in the New Haven area or rent motel rooms in Connecticut. The Yale Motor Inn in Wallingford was a popular spot, and some establishments offered special rates to lure fans from New York.

When the Giants-Packers NFL title game in 1962 was televised, fans from New York came as far north as the Berlin Turnpike to find motel rooms.
That game was on Channel 30, an NBC station. Because that signal did not carry as well as Channel 3, New Yorkers had to drive even farther into the state to watch the broadcast.

The blackout rule did not change until 1973, so the migration of fans from New York to Connecticut continued through the 1960s. Giants fans dominated the state.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved