Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#715756 Mon Aug 27 2018 06:46 AM
M
millsj Offline OP
OP Offline
M
This is my first post and I am hoping some of you experts can assist me with my new gas pump. A good friend of mine's father recently passed away and was a big car guy with a large garage and lots of related stuff. One of the items he had was an antique gas pump. My friend wanted a lot of the shop stuff to go to someone who would appreciate the items and thought that I might be interested. Besides having similar interests as his dad, we also have a large garage at our house with a spot for a gas pump. The prior owner of our house had a concrete pad with two restored gas pumps. Unfortunately, he took them with him when he moved. Needless to say, we were touched that he thought of us in handing down these items and jumped at the opportunity.

This weekend we drove down and brought home a lot of shop items, including the gas pump. I am now trying to figure out how to bring it back to life. It will mean a lot to a number of people to restore the pump and have it prominently displayed as you enter our driveway. I know zero about gas pumps, so I thought I would come to the source for some advice. First of all, I would like to know what make and model it is. Once I have this information, I can research the model further. From looking online at pics, it appears it might be a Bennett, but I really have no idea. Next, I really have no idea what is even possible in bring it back to life, so I would be interested in any suggestions.

I have attached a couple of pictures for your reference. I'll be glad to attach any additional pics if needed.

Thanks and I appreciate any information you can provide.

IMG_3805.JPG IMG_3809.JPG IMG_3810.JPG IMG_3811.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
millsj #715757 Mon Aug 27 2018 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. Best of luck with your restoration project. You will find a wealth of knowledge here on this site.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
millsj #715776 Mon Aug 27 2018 03:01 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Welcome to OG Looks to be a Bennet 646 or maybe 647 Both made from 1941 -1955. Not real scarce, but that is exactly the kind of pump I would want to start with as there are many parts available if you and lots of guys on here that can help with pics or advice. May so well start preparing both sides of your garage. These tend to travel in pairs and then multiply. I will send you a Private message, blinking envelope upper right corner of this page.

millsj #715777 Mon Aug 27 2018 03:20 PM
M
millsj Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you very much for the information! I was hoping that this was a common model and parts would be somewhat available. I obviously need some parts.

I think my first step is to drain any remaining fuel that is in the pump. We had to lay it down on it's side to fit it in the trailer. When we turned it back up on it's base, gas drained out. It also did the same thing when we moved it to it's current location. Needless to say, that is some nasty stuff! There appears to be a few drain plugs near the bottom of the some of the pipes, etc. I assume I won't cause any damage opening these up?

millsj #715782 Mon Aug 27 2018 04:42 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Some guys here restore everything. The completely dissemble the pump inside your unit, this is the only way you can remove all the old bad smelling gasoline. A number of us (including myself) remove all this and dispose of it. I use to recommend that you keep the motor and use it as a buffer, but since Harbor Freight came along it is not worth wasting you time doing this. From the pictures it a appears that the pump is missing most of the trim parts and the faces, most of these parts are available from members here on Old Gas, just click on "Parts" found at the top of the page.

My specialty is literature, and the web page showing what literature is available at: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/bennett%20646.htm

Jack Sim
Author, Gas Pump Bible book, www.gaspumpbible.com

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
millsj #715788 Mon Aug 27 2018 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Everything you need for this pump can be bought reproduction or used original can be found except for the hose outlet cover. that piece is hard to come by but not impossible.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
millsj #715851 Tue Aug 28 2018 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Joe,

You didn't mention what brand you were looking to restore it in so I thought I would pass on a little info to think about. Just as an fyi, your Bennett model was originally used by a lot of different oil companies but Sinclair was a huge user of Bennett gas pumps, almost exclusively, especially in the eastern half of the country. I'm partial to Sinclair, that's why I mentioned it.

You might want to check a book by Wayne Henderson and Scott Benjamin called PCM's Guide to Gas Pump Restoration. It has a lot of good info for a beginner and the section on factory original color schemes is great if you want an authentic restoration. However I tell people to restore it in any color scheme you like, it really does not hurt the value. You will be able to get anything you need from the list of suppliers on this site.

Best wishes, Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved