Next Thread
Print Thread
#717611 Fri Oct 05 2018 02:02 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
So I have two oil rocker cans and was out and about today. I came across a circular oil can like the rocker but I is in a wooden crate with a latch system. What era are these from and any value associated to them? Also what purpose did the serve? I bought it cause liked it and want to add it to my collection.

Thanks All
Corey

188D9F65-EB57-458D-AD40-9FBB12B103F4.jpeg
Last edited by Corey1955; Fri Oct 05 2018 02:08 PM. Reason: Pictures
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Your items are gasoline or kerosene dispenser cans, not oil cans. You do see these periodically at swap meets and flea markets in our locale, most often in the $45 to $75 range. I've heard various stories over the years about how they were originally used. Some say they were used by hardware stores and drug stores to dispense gas or kerosene back in the pre-teens to 1920's. Remember there were still lots of gasoline-powered washing machines and clothes irons at that time. Also many kerosene lamps still in use then, especially in the rural areas. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Fri Oct 05 2018 02:45 PM.
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Awesome thank you for educating me on these. In my area you don’t see many of these types of gas / kerosene cans or the rocker oil cans.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
You're most welcome, Corey. Your container is certainly a nice item. I've also seen these with an all-metal framework. However, I like the feel that the combination of wood and metal gives to your rotating dispensers. Years back, I had one of these that was quite similar to yours. Mine had very dark green original paint on the wooden framework, and the word "GASOLENE" factory-stenciled in white on the top side of the board nearest the tilt/pour spout. The "old" spelling of GASOLINE was neat to see in use from back in the day.

I don't think I've ever seen one of these dispensers with a gas brand on it. I'm referring to a brand graphic that was applied at the factory, rather than added later by a jobber or dealer. However, someone else on the forum may chime in on this, and possibly add a photo or two. John

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved