Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#721599 Tue Dec 18 2018 08:31 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Can you all tell me if the pool of large signs (six footers) is infected with fake copies like the smaller ones? And How do you ship these suckers anyway?

IMG_3776.jpeg IMG_3777.jpeg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
All your big signs are original . If you decide to sell any I suggest you do your research to make sure you get fair market value.

S
OP Offline
S
I can't find any of the big ones on eBay or on a general Google search for that matter. Can you give me any resources for info?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shipping would have to be by crating them in wood and probably freight.
Your inbox is probably blowing up with messages. Your signs are in great shape and highly desired and would bring several thousand dollars for them.
... but wow, to have those signs! I would really consider keeping them and enjoying them!

Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave; Wed Dec 19 2018 09:39 AM.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Guys, I didn't read into servicestationnation's initial post that he owned these signs. Certainly I could be wrong, but I took it that he was potentially looking to buy some of these signs from the current owner. Simply a comment from me. John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Jolly-John
Guys, I didn't read into servicestationnation's initial post that he owned these signs. Certainly I could be wrong, but I took it that he was potentially looking to buy some of these signs from the current owner. Simply a comment from me. John

X2, that’s the way I read the post too....

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by servicestationnation
I can't find any of the big ones on eBay or on a general Google search for that matter. Can you give me any resources for info?

Most of the signs that I can see have been discussed/sold on this site. Use the site search bar on this page and you should get some info. It's located on the top, labelled Google custom search. Good luck

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Originally Posted by 57-Chevy
Originally Posted by Jolly-John

X2, that’s the way I read the post too....

X3 I don't know if its a fishing trip or what at this point. But to answer the question no they a not. Two factors help to control this. 1 the interest is not as strong in the collecting market as not all has room to display 6 footers. 2 they are not easy to ship.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks everyone! First, I'm a "she" and these signs were my husbands so, yes I do own them. I am just learning about this hobby so I can sell off the collection (I would love to hang on to them and enjoy them, as was suggested, but I can't keep them). As I learn about these signs and your really cool hobby that you all enjoy so much, I am completely blown away by how many fakes there are! I had no idea! So my question above (which wasn't worded very well, apparently) was more of a "What am I getting into here when I go to sell off the big signs?" Do the producers of all those fakes make large signs too or is it mostly just the smaller ones. Have any of you ever seen a fake large sign? Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for all your help!! I wish the soda sign collectors had a forum like this. That would be very helpful.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
There are other forums on this site that you can discuss non-petroliana such as soda signs. A lot of the members here are knowledgeable in this area. Use the following link:

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=7&page=1

Also, there are facebook groups you can join.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OK, so now that everyone is on the same page...
The Flying A sign is worth several thousand and the others are worth AT LEAST $1300 each because of condition. None in the pic are fake and I would guess that your husband did not get fakes when he was picking these up but wouldn't know until we see them.
Are these the only items that will be for sale or is there lots of smaller items, like usual? From what you said above, there must be Soda Fountain/Ice Cream items too?
Globes, oil cans, gas pumps, displays and such are all highly desired. Even original paper items. They can be worth$$$$ a lot also! So you want to keep that in mind.
There will be ALOT of people messaging you to come by and buy you out. There are a lot of reputable folks on here but the jerks are here too and they scan through and may try to get a hold of you by phone. The reputable folks will help you out if you ask, so, do, if you're feeling overwhelmed.
Selling individual items on here would be a great way to go or you might consider consigning the items through a reputable auction house if there is a lot of items. Selling out to a collector may be a great way to go too. It all depends what you are going for as your personal goal.
Good Luck and thanx for sharing with us!

Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave; Thu Dec 20 2018 01:06 PM.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Hello servicestationnation, Hopefully, you'll eventually photograph and price the signs you want to sell, and offer them to the people here on Old Gas in the "For Sale with Prices" section of the website.

You can specify "Pick-Up Only" in your ads, when you're ready to sell. This will eliminate the crating and shipping issue for you. I think you'll be surprised at the number of Old Gas members out your way, who would be able pick up a sign at your location. Yes, "pick-up only" will limit your buyer base somewhat....but I bet you can sell every one of these large signs on that basis.

Right now, I'm sure your life is complicated enough, without having to think about the hassle of crating and shipping large signs (even if the buyer offers to pay to have that done). Please believe me, it's a pain in the you-know-what. Best of luck to you. John

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Very good advice from Dave and John . I just want to say from my own personal experience if you have good big items which you have, and they are priced fairly people will come to you . However I would really take my time as far as educating yourself in learning the values . There are a lot of people out there just trying to make money off these things and would have no problem taking advantage of someone for a profit . You have some great signs thanks for the pictures .Its funny I remember 20 years ago you couldn't hardly give those big signs away they were selling for around $300.00 as many as you wanted but all of this stuff has greatly gone up in price so be patient learning the values and very careful who you deal with. Peter

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Never seen a fake over 42 in. Hope this helps.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Loyd Pierce
Never seen a fake over 42 in. Hope this helps.

Same here,,
there was a SKELLY 42" fake posted about recently. Looked horrible! I'm sure they are going to show up in 6' rounds soon but thankfully not yet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved