Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Lastgas said "Has it ever occurred to anyone that those new buyers are staying away because past experience tells them there is no sense in going at all if they can't be there Thursday?"
I know new collectors who have said this to me and I tell them that they have to be there the first day the dealers are allowed in or don't bother.
I've said the same thing in an earlier post. Actually I think I also said that if I can't get in when the dealers do I won't go to a show at all and the second day of any show is a waste of my time. I am not going to drive all day and spend a night in a hotel to wake up and see nothing but Fire Chief and Good Gulf signs for sale because all the quality or well priced items got bought during dealer setup. I know this is a little off topic from the auction issue but I think an auction and show can exist together like at Iowa Gas where the auctions are after the show and the buyers have the same access to the venue as the dealers. There's no fence or door keeping me from looking at a sign or globe with the same chance of buying it as anyone else.
J.M.O.
chris

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Good Post....as long as buyers can have the same access (early-bird admission) as other dealers, it's a good thing.

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
I think that Gulfiend! has hit the nail on the head. (Re-read his post). It is up to the promoters to tell the auctioneers that we prefer to have the auction, if there has to be one, after the show. There are only three shows involved right now. Peotone, Ohio Gas and Columbus. If these three show promotors told Auctioneers that they aren't having the auction until after the show, they would be dealing from strength instead of just one show promoter asking for a change. If the auctioneer refuses to make the change or says that he will have the auction at another site and when he wants, then so be it. I strongly suggest that, at that time, we as their CUSTOMERS, boycott the auction.
If the auction is after the show, it needs to be regulated so that no one is allowed to review items until 2 hours before the ending of the gas and oil show. There are details, but they can all be worked out.
I agree with RAREN TO GO, buyers should be allowed the same access as the vendors that are setting up.
I think that most of you know that I had a bad experience with Aumann Auctions and I am a perfect example of what Gulfiend posted below:
"...we all know why Aumann changed the night of their auction, from after the show to before...greed, plain and simple..."

There are only 2 reasons that Aumann did not live up to their promises or keep their word. One is greed, (the money) the other is that they really didn't care about me as their customer. They weren't happy with a hands on customer like me. They wanted an absentee customer that would not be involved.
I was the owner of an oil company for 20 years and believe me, we made mistakes. But we took care of them. We didn't have disatisfied customers. We did everything that we needed to do to keep our customers happy. This is a basic fact of doing business. Aumann obviously is unaware of this.
Some people have suggested that I stop posting negative comments about Aumann Auction. It seems to me that I am not the only one that is posting negative comments about them. How basic is shipping an item after an auction. My wife and I would work 20 hours a day to get the items to the customers in a timely manner. If something as basic as this isn't being handled, imagine how much more is being overlooked.
IF you are going to have an auction get your desires in writing and if they refuse to to that look for another auctioneer.
Well, I have done my venting for today, I hope that we all have learned something from this discussion.
Rex

B
B
Well it`s time to throw my dog in this fight. Those of you that know me & my brother know that when we set up at a show we are some of the first to arrive and some of the last to leave. We abide by the advertised hours. This is the way I spend my vacation every year. We have the lower end stuff that that the new guys start out with. As a matter of fact A lot of my personal collection is lower grade or common items.(You go with what you can afford)
We are setting up at Dayton this year but I`m concerned that the 2 auctions will drain off money that buyers might spend with the loyal vendors. My opinion about an auction is that if there is to be one, then it should begin when the show is OVER.

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I agree with Rarin to go, Rex, and Greg. It should be at the end of the show. I like going to shows to see the people and the stuff, I too am like Greg and collect the lower end stuff and stuff I can afford.

Phil likes shows.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I also second that motion, the auction should be at the end of the show. I set up at Columbus last year with alot of good stuff and didn't sell but one piece. Everyone looking at my stuff and was interested said they were spent out. Some of the so-called "big-hitters" I believe did not even stay for the show. Anyway, if the shows are to survive, the promotors need to get a handle on them.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...anybody seen the new ad for this auction in PCM? Seems really strange to me that an auction that is not affiliated with the show actually uses the show name in it's ads!

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
1-Early bird gets the worm, 2-You snooze, you lose, 3-Timing is everything, 4-Luck, 5-Money will always win. Those five things are how shows will always be run. That's how the world is run. The beauty and true enjoyment of this "hobby" (I have now learned) is to not obsess about everything you miss or will miss, but to enjoy what you have and will have. And I think that a good sixth rule would be, 6-There are no rules, unless YOU make 'em.

[This message has been edited by BBQ Chicken (edited 05-12-2006).]

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
true BBQ... just that i gotta move money and luck furthur up the list...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved