Next Thread
Print Thread
#71900 Tue Jul 05 2005 06:32 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Saw on another site Mr Mendenhall passed away yesterday morning, July 4.
More information at oilstick.com.

My condolences to his family and friends. He was a heck of a petro collector and a true old-time hotrodder.

#71901 Tue Jul 05 2005 06:57 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
That's a shame. I had the pleasure of meeting Jack a few years ago; just a great guy & gentleman.

#71902 Tue Jul 05 2005 07:27 PM
F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
So Sad.
I wish that I would have had the opportunity to meet Jack. My prayers go out to his family.

------------------
Frank

Frank
#71903 Tue Jul 05 2005 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R.I.P. Jack, you earned it.

His daughter-in-law just phoned, and wanted the info passed on.

Graveside services at 11am on July 9th, @ OAK HILLS cemetary in Ballard [near Solvang].

#71904 Tue Jul 05 2005 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am sorry to hear this news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

I have had requests to move this thread to Petro News and after consideration think its best there since not all collectors who use this site check the non petro section.

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#71905 Tue Jul 05 2005 10:08 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I spoke to Mark Mendenhall today and he is doing well. Jack had been sick and when I talked to Mark last Friday he said he doubted that his dad would make it through the weekend. At least he went out with a bang on the 4th of July!

His service is on Saturday as Dick posted. On Sunday we are opening an exhibit at the Santa Ynez Valley Historical Society that features Jack Mendenhall's Richfield Station and a racing exhibit dedicated to Jack. I'm sorry that Jack didn't live to see it because he is part of the legend and lore of the town of Buellton.

Here's a preview of the exhibit which we are frantically trying to finish by Sunday, which will feature Jack's Pea Soup Special dragster too. I'm sure that this is how Jack would prefer to be remembered.

There will be a gathering at Jack's compound on Zaca Street in Buellton after the grave side service.

Here's to you Jack!

C Cragg
#71906 Wed Jul 06 2005 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R.I.P. MR. JACK MENDENHALL

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#71907 Wed Jul 06 2005 07:14 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Here is the link to the obituary on Jack in today's paper.

http://64.29.230.55/Repository/getimage.dll?path=SBNP/2005/07/06/14/Img/Pg014.png

Couple of views of Jack, young and old. As you can probbly guess Jack was fond of his son Mark.

Mark the Midget Racer c.1956

Jack, James Garner and Mark with Baja car

[This message has been edited by the poor mans museum (edited 07-06-2005).]

C Cragg
#71908 Wed Jul 06 2005 11:19 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Our deepest sympathy to Jack's family and friends.
Rod and Kathy

------------------

#71909 Wed Jul 06 2005 02:22 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
My condolences to Jack's family, never met him, but wish I had, what a collecor!!

------------------

#71910 Wed Jul 06 2005 06:05 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Here's the Santa Barbara News Press story that was published today on Jack Mendenhall

Jack Mendenhall, locally famous for his car racing triumphs and automotive memorabilia museum, died at home on Monday. He was 75.

Mr. Mendenhall was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1992, but became seriously ill in the last three months of his life, according to his daughter-in-law.

The lifetime resident of the Santa Ynez Valley earned fame among fellow car enthusiasts for his longtime involvement in track, drag and land speed racing contests. He shared his passion with the public at his "Mendenhall's Museum of Gas Pumps" in Buellton, a repository for a vast collection of motoring memorabilia, including porcelain gas station signs and vintage license plates.

Favoring 1930s coupes with rebuilt engines, Mr. Mendenhall raced at drag strips from San Luis Obispo to Long Beach in the 1950s. He won his first trophy in 1955, when he rocketed his modified 1934 Ford Coupe to 105 mph.

Throughout the '50s, financial uncertainty curbed his race participation. But finally, in 1959, business at his Buellton gas station stabilized, and Mr. Mendenhall was able to buy and fix up a series of old cars and attend weekly drag races all over Southern and Central California.

In 1960, he began christening his dragsters "The Split Pea Soup Special" after his local sponsor, the Andersen family -- reputedly the first nonautomotive sponsor of a drag racer. That same year, he set a land speed record of 151 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.

After that, he began making annual trips to Bonneville, and ultimately, in a modified 1932 Ford Roadster named "Sally the Salt Dancer," he zoomed into the ranks of the elite who have reached a land speed over 200 mph.

According to a 1971 autobiographical essay, the automobile's power first obsessed Mr. Mendenhall when he was 14, living on a ranch in the Santa Ynez Valley.

One day, while repairing a 1936 Ford pickup, his father mentioned its 85 horsepower engine.

"Since we lived on a ranch, I was well acquainted with horses, and I was fascinated that 85 of them could be under the hood of that car," Mr. Mendenhall would recall.

"This began to generate my interest in cars, to see how they worked . . ."

When he was 15, he begged his parents to take him to see his first auto race in Santa Maria, but they refused. Unwilling or unable to obey their wishes, he secretly hitchhiked to the race.

A friend and fellow racer since the 1960s, Tim Rochlitzer said that Mr. Mendenhall was as well known in their circle for his generosity as for his own racing prowess.

"He always helped out by giving other racers parts or advice," said Mr. Rochlitzer.

"He was a very giving person."

He explained that Mr. Mendenhall's induction into the "Dry Lakes Hall of Fame," an honor bestowed by fellow racers, showed how his peers viewed him. According to Mr. Rochlitzer, to gain this recognition a person must be a great racer but also a notable contributor to the sport, through volunteering or helping others.

Family members were also quick to recall Mr. Mendenhall's winning personality.

"He always had a smile, and he never got angry," said daughter-in-law Vicki Mendenhall.

After retiring from the Buellton gas station he owned for nearly two decades, Mr. Mendenhall hit the road in his 1978 Chevy station wagon, driving all over the country to collect gas station memorabilia.

"He really loved his old 1978 wagon," said his son Mark Mendenhall.

He continued collecting throughout his later years, building his museum into a favorite Buellton tourist destination. Pieces from his collection sometimes traveled to museums in other cities, including the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.

Mr. Mendenhall's survivors include his daughter Gloria Mendenhall, son Mark Mendenhall, brother John Parslo, and sisters Pat Harris, Susan Mendenhall and Marcie Trask.

Funeral services are scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday at Oak Hill Cemetery in Ballard.

e-mail: sgordon@newspress.com

COURTESY OF OILSTICK.COM

Jack Mendenhall shared his passion for automobiles with the public at his Buellton museum, which became a favorite tourist destination.

C Cragg
#71911 Wed Jul 06 2005 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Mendenhall family.

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED: Quart Picture Cans
Kansas City, Missouri 64152

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved