Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
This evening I launched redesigned Home, Events and Auctions pages that automatically adjust to fit the device you are using. More and more people are using phones and tablets to view Oldgas.com. Click on the menu near the top of this page to view those pages. The forum is already more mobile friendly. Going to work through the list of other pages to upgrade them as I have time. The clock was ticking on me as some older eBay display technology is expiring this weekend. And we need the eBay advertising to pay the bills to keep this site going. Thanks for your business with our advertisers over the years.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Jim, Where is the link/portal to eBay that we should use to get Oldgas credit for our eBay purchases?

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
They did away with the search box that we could use to go to eBay from Oldgas.com. Now we get credit for referrals from the links on the top and bottom of many forum and other Oldgas pages. The "Auctions" page, linked at the top of this page, has the most up to the minute linked auctions.
Thanks,
Jim

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Thanks for all you do to keep this place running Jim.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Really like the new format Jim, as you knew i would.
Great site.

WANTED:::Barn Hangers...and other fine junk...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim, do we still need to make a purchase from eBay through the linked connection from here for you to get any credit or is it now just a “credit per click” system where Oldgas gets something for each linked connection? I know the pay per click concept has taken over a lot of the internet revenue streaming,especially with google. It’s getting harder and harder to keep a business at the top of search engine pages due to the big money from amazon,Walmart, and the like simply buying the top search engine hit words. And they buy almost all of them in any given search category if it’s something they can sell you....or even the f they don’t sell it in some cases.

Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Rabbitman
Jim, do we still need to make a purchase from eBay through the linked connection from here for you to get any credit or is it now just a “credit per click” system where Oldgas gets something for each linked connection?

Ebay pays when the winning bidder comes from a link we provide. There is no compensation for just clicking to view an auction or placing an inconsequential bid.
Google does pay per click on their ads, but Oldgas.com runs only a few Google ads because they are so often not about petroliana.
The sponsor banner ads here are paid according to the number of views per month, but sponsors can see a report of how many clicks through to their site that they are getting.

I really try to keep advertising here directly related to our hobby interests. I regularly turn down ads from businesses that our viewers may consider annoying or objectionable. That's just one of the things that separates this site from Facebook and others where they sell advertising to anybody and track everyone all over.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Jim, Can you please clarify for me? if I click on a link you provide and then buy something else on eBay does Oldgas still get compensated, or is compensation only for the item in your link?

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by SandPCollector
Jim, Can you please clarify for me? if I click on a link you provide and then buy something else on eBay does Oldgas still get compensated, or is compensation only for the item in your link?

That's a gray area. If you place a bid on a different item than you clicked on to get to eBay within an hour and you wind up winning that item even including later bids, Oldgas.com will probably get credit for the referral. They decide how long and how far on the gray area sales and we live with it. They watch for people "gaming" the system and are generally fair with those of us who are clean and straight.

If you bid on an item shown on a link here and later win it, we do get a referral credit. That does not increase the cost to buyer or seller. Ebay splits a part of their fee because they realize that bringing a winning bidder to an auction helps them, the seller and the buyer.

Thanks to the participation of lots of Oldgas.com supporters, The income keeps our bills paid. cool

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by SODAMAMAK
Really like the new format Jim, as you knew i would.
Great site.

I used a photo of the backyard country store gas station built by Joe "SODAMAMAK" as the top photo on the Oldgas.com Home page. I really love how he has replicated memories of the good old days right outside his back door.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved