Next Thread
Print Thread
#757080 Sat Nov 14 2020 04:51 PM
A
auditad Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello all,
I'm new to the site and not an expert in the petroliana collectibles. I've owned this relatively rare Texaco-Gargoyle-Mobil oil sign (diameter 90cm / 36 inches) for almost 20 years. I got it while I used to work in Texaco in Argentina, in one of my trips inside country to vist distributors (I'm from Buenos Aires). I also investigated about why two competitive companies in one sign: starting in the 20/30's up to the 40's, there used to be a Joint Venture between Texaco and Vaccum OIl in Argentina. In fact, I got one of the original legal books for that company.

I have no idea about the value in the US.

Any help and advise will be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

IMG_4139.jpg IMG_4142.jpg IMG_4140.jpg IMG_4141.jpg
Last edited by Oldgas; Sat Nov 14 2020 06:11 PM. Reason: Edit to conform with Value section Guidelines
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum. Well your sign has come up a few times for discussion over the years. You can search for it on the site using the Custom Google search on the top of the page.
Here is a link on one of the threads:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=416043&page=all
Neat sign which scares the heck out of many collectors...why would two companies that are natural, read North American, competitors be on one sign. But you've explained it in your text.
Value estimates; I'll leave to the Texaco guys!

A
auditad Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you!

A
auditad Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Some additional information on the Joint Venture between Texaco and Vacuum in Argentina, extracted from 1940 US Congress Hearing. I think this JV explains why the two brands are together in the same sign.

US Congress 1940 hearings 1.JPG US Congress 1940 hearings 2.JPG US Congress 1940 hearings 3.JPG
A
auditad Offline OP
OP Offline
A
1948 Calendar, advertising both brands using the the same sign in the cover

1948 calendar.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One of the calendars I had a little while back, always liked the collaborative advertising. Foreign signs can occasionally struggle to do well, especially when being sold by an unknown party to the community. In the hands of a reputable member of the community or auction house (figure what the cost of consigning the sign would be for the seller) these and other foreign signs can do well (condition depending). Morphys ran one not too long ago, I’ll attach result below:

F607E4E9-DE9C-48EA-B137-5D712A5F0E98.jpeg
1F02CCC8-478E-474D-9A85-689CFCE4E5FF.png (551.79 KB, 153 downloads)

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
A
auditad Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you, very much appreciated! I posted the documents and the calendar with the sign on it (and yours is a confirmation) because I read in previous/old posts about certain doubts on the real existence of this sign, considering competing brands were on it. I'm clearly new and don't have known background in this community. Trying to start.

K
K
https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=256719

Looks like one like this sold for $3000 in 2017.

A
auditad Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you for the information

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved