Print Thread
#760607 Sun Feb 14 2021 10:17 AM
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Hello All,
Would any of our members with neon sign knowledge be able to tell me if the original transformer is worth keeping with a sign? I was given a late 40's "Frigidaire Appliances" neon window sign that originally hung in the window of the dealer in my town. It has a nice local connection but it had been in a barn for 35+ years and all the neon tubing is broken and the sign is in rough shape for the most part. My plan is to do a cosmetic redo but due to the cost vs. the "value" of the sign, I'm not putting the money in it to get the neon replaced. More than likely it will eventually just be on display in the historical society building. The transformer is heavy and adds extra weight I really don't want, and the plastic is cracked along the top. Any valid sense in keeping it?
Thanks for any comments,
Darin

Transformer.jpg

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I had some neon work done in Omaha by a very talented woman. My sign had the original transformer still with it.
She was not interested in using it at all! Told me the old wiring was sketchy, and that the new modern electronic transformers are lighter, safer, and more reliable.
The one she used was inexpensive and works great. I did keep the original transformer and will include it if I ever sell.
Greg
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I had some neon work done in Omaha by a very talented woman. My sign had the original transformer still with it.
She was not interested in using it at all! Told me the old wiring was sketchy, and that the new modern electronic transformers are lighter, safer, and more reliable.
The one she used was inexpensive and works great. I did keep the original transformer and will include it if I ever sell.
Greg

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Sorry for the double post, I actually have 2 of these and I mixed the pics in my first post. One is a salesman sample that came in a wooden case.

Normally I say to go with the safest electrical fix with a new neon transformer, but since it is not planned to operate, I'd recommend to keep the old transformer in it. The historical society might like to have the original parts included. Years from now, younger people may not have ever seen the heavy old transformers, so it may have historical story to tell.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Thanks for the input gents.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Agree with Jim. If replacing neon use new transformer, way safer, but just leave it if you aren't lighting up. Strange looking transformer, never seen one like that.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved