Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Hi all - I have the 2020 version of this book by Mark Anderton, and really like the clean layouts and color photos. So overall, I really like this book and think it is a good resource.

My question is this: How complete is it? What's missing in this book? I am sure it cannot cover everything, so are there product line and obscure items that are typically ignored
in a book like this? Pump plates and little signs? Are there other volumes or resources aside from forums like this that catalog things in more detail?

Example: I am looking up what appears to be a very genuine Magnolia Magnolene sign, but it is not covered in the encyclopedia. I have found other genuine
looking examples online, but not in this book. In this case it's a 18 in. version of the Magnolia Magnolene signs. So, how do I actually know if Magnolia produced
an 18 in version of that sign? Similarly, other rectangle and flange magnolia signs are also missing from this book. The book does have a whole page of Magnolia
pictures, just not the one I am looking for.

Collector and Occasional Seller of unique things Antique/Vintage
Industrial, Mechanical, Advertising Signs, Store Displays
Outboard / Fishing
Coin-Op
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I do not have the book you refer to, but I glanced at some of the pages using the "look inside" feature on Amazon. It appears to be a second edition (originally from 1999) and from what I can tell, doesn't look very up-to-date in terms of values. I personally only use these types of resources as a guide for relative values, since values change so fast, but you would think a 2020 edition would be a little more up to date. Note again that this is just my first impression based on a few example pages.

Amazon states that this is the "only reference you'll ever need for determining value of vintage oil and gas memorabilia." Realistically, there's no way you can expect a 254 page book that covers signs, cans, globes etc to be the definitive source in this hobby. It basically provides a broad sampling of the various items available to collectors (but I'm sure there's lots of interesting info provided).

Regarding your specific example of the 18" diameter magnolia sign: I'm not an expert on these but I'm only aware of them being produced in 30" and 42" diameters. I can also tell you that all of the 18" versions I came across being sold on ebay are garbage. It's also worth noting that many of the larger versions on ebay are repops as well.

Petro Enthusiast
Online Cool
Petro Enthusiast
Just got a copy of the 2020 revision.

Regarding the comment about value/price being a little out of date, I found the following statement on the second page:

“Please note that the prices cited here are not current valuations but reflect market conditions as of 1999”...

D
OP Offline
D
Hi and thx very much for the reads and replies. Just from doing my own continued research, I think I have to conclude that there is a lot of petroliana out there that is not, or cannot be recorded in these books. I have run into all kinds of small to medium sized pieces that seem to be very hard to verify, but do appear to be good, real items. To Jecos point above, I have to agree that the market is just flooded to the brim with repros coming out of the woodwork. Some of them look quite good. I personally grew up in the antiques business, and can usually spot something that is recently made, but have had to rethink how I judge these. The Magnolene product line does not appear to even be covered in this book, so I can't even verify any of the sizes of that sign with it.

I was disappointed to hear that this new 2020 book reflects prices from more than 20 yrs ago. That is a huge gap in data, so I don't really think this book could be accurately called the "only reference you'll ever need for determining the value..." So, I will add it as a tool in the box I can leverage, but keep adding to my toolbox.

Cheers...

Collector and Occasional Seller of unique things Antique/Vintage
Industrial, Mechanical, Advertising Signs, Store Displays
Outboard / Fishing
Coin-Op
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I don't think ANY book could ever completely cover the scope of Petroliana that is out there, period. I've specialized in Socony-Vacuum and Mobil items for over 15 years and I see items show up every year that I've never seen before.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Same book as 1999 nothing changed but the cover. lazy

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved