Next Thread
Print Thread
#768258 Thu Sep 09 2021 05:22 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
When I see a sign that originally had a can behind it it's often a new can. Does this hurt the value or desirability because it's not the original can? I understand the majority like their signs original but is this an exception?

Additionally, when I see a sign with a new can that I know was originally double sided with a sign on each side is it considerably less desirable when it's now a single sign on the can? I assume people will take each sign and make a can sign. 1 sign becomes 2 signs.
Does it makes sense that most collectors would prefer a single sign to mount flat?

These questions apply to both neon and non neon can signs. Just trying to gather some thoughts about what you all think?

Thank you
Michael

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
mtrotnic #768260 Thu Sep 09 2021 06:38 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I dont believe a new can affects the value that much. If I were to find a matching pair of neon skins that would have gone together I would keep together. Yes some people will split a sign I know some will split a globe lense and sell the other half.

mtrotnic #768328 Sat Sep 11 2021 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
More desirable to have the original can IMO but it doesn't seem to deter the value from sales I've made in the past. If its a nice double sided sign with a nice original can, I'll leave it be, but I totally get the guys who split the sign, can make sense financially. Hard to impossible to get a buyer to pay 2x for a sign because its double sided. I've had a few higher dollar signs recently that had really bad cans that needed rebuild, I split them because I was making a can(s) anyway and it seemed to work out pretty well for the sales to have it split. Most people want to hang these signs on a wall so the back side would be unseen anyway. The physically bigger the sign, the more sense it makes to split, as few people want to hang a giant sign in the middle of their display area. Conversely, a smaller double sided sign will hang nicely in the middle of a room.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Sat Sep 11 2021 11:55 AM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
mtrotnic #769028 Sat Sep 25 2021 05:32 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Thanks for the replies guys! Appreciate it.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved