#781515 Wed Sep 21 2022 03:41 PM
A
archer2 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Hello all,
I'm getting ready to do a base/clear on some pump doors and I'm using a water slide decal. I want to clear over the decals.

Should I put the decal on the color coat or put a clear down and then the decal?

How long after applying the decals should I wait until I shoot the clear.

Thanks

Ed
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
archer2 #781516 Wed Sep 21 2022 04:30 PM
E
E
My painter put decal on then cleared over. Still looks good after many years. The bad news it would be harder to remove and change brands.

archer2 #781517 Wed Sep 21 2022 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It looks alot better under the clear IMO. I usually use vinyl decals but on occasion I've buried water slide type decals. I usually paint all my basecoat colors, then lightly sand the base in the areas where the decals go, with say 600 - 1000 grit or so. or a light pad of some kind. You want to get rid of any bumps or dirt in the basecoat so its smooth in the area the decal is. Any defects will get magnified somewhat by the gloss clear, as decals are usually matte in finish.

Put the decals on and I usually let it dry overnight or so. You want the decal dried on. I keep pushing the time quickier and quickier so far no problems, but overnight seems good. The water slides ones may dry quicker not sure.

The first and second coats of clear should be light, as you don't want any of the clear to get under the decal, because it will lift the edges if it gets under the decal. Than just as many medium coats as you want.

It will not look like a decal when you are all done. When I do decals buried in clear or paint graphics buried in clear, you can't tell the difference. I often mix the two and no one can tell.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
archer2 #781521 Thu Sep 22 2022 03:23 AM
A
archer2 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Thanks for the input, I did this before about 12yrs ago and couldn't remember if it went on the color or on the clear and how long for decal to dry.

Ed
archer2 #781537 Thu Sep 22 2022 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most everyone goes on top the clear. It's easier.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved