Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#782190 Wed Oct 12 2022 09:43 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi, I just recently purchased what looks like a Fry 117/17 but has the Rush conversion (see pics).

I’m trying to figure out what the real history of these is. We know that Wayne bought the company late in the 20s and closed the factory in the early 30s. We know there are some Wayne Fry conversions as well. But how and why does Rush fit into this? The quality of the install of the Rush components plus the consistency of the Rush conversions found online seems to indicate that these may have been converted or finished at a factory. I find it hard to believe that a kit sent into the field and installed by jobbers or end users would be so well done or consistent.

Then add that this pump has a brass tag stating “Sinclair Refining Co”, the serial number, “Model FRY”, “Rush MFG, Co, Lafayette, Ind.”. A brass tag from Rush for a conversion kit seems odd. Do we know if these were finished from parts bought by Rush in their factory? Or through some sort of deal with Fry prior to failure? Or through some sort of deal with Wayne after the purchase?

Thanks!

IMG_3887.jpg IMG_3890.jpg IMG_3893.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
L
L
One of the big selling points for the Rush pumps was the easy to open top for cleaning with the piviting conduit. Fry was having financial problems and sales were down. So in a desperate move they started shipping their pumps to Lafayette, IN. to have the Rush tops installed on the model 17 and 117. They thought that with the Rush tops there pumps would sell better. Sinclair ordered several of these pumps. An adaptor plate was made to allow the 12 inch cylinder. This information was given to me by the late Joe Rush junior.

Lynn Senesac

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Lynn, Great to see you on here. Miss talking to you. Just finished Hershey and as always, you were missed. Best to the family, Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks Lynn,
Very good info from a very good source. Much appreciated!

Larry

L
OP Offline
L
Found this....

fryrush.jpg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved