Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82455 Wed Jul 05 2006 02:49 PM
W
wmagoo Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Here is the first pump I have purchased. Will be posting progess on the blog I have created and hopefully will have a nice finished product like some of the others on the forum.

thanks for looking

willy (a rookie)

[This message has been edited by wmagoo (edited 07-05-2006).]

[This message has been edited by wmagoo (edited 07-05-2006).]

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#82456 Wed Jul 05 2006 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
looks to be a nice pump!good luck and start makin room for the others!!LOL mick

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#82457 Wed Jul 05 2006 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELCOME WILLY TO BEST GAS PUMP RESTO RESOURCE ZONE ON THE PLANET!

I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON A TOK39 SHORT W/O AD GLASS MYSELF. THIS IS MY 2ND TOK39 SHORT.

MIGHT I SUGGEST REMOVING THE MOTOR AND THE PUMP....BASICALLY ANYTHING BELOW THE CALCULATOR OF NO VALUE EXCEPT A FEW SCRAPS OF COPPER OR BRASS.

ALSO MAKE YOURSELF A DOLLY WITH BIG ENOUGH WHEELS SO THE YOU CAN HAUL THAT BABY AROUND IN THE SHOP WITH EASE.

ANY PLANS FOR A BRAND YET? I DID MY FIRST IN MOBILGAS SPECIAL AND THE CURRENT ONE WILL BE DONE IN SINCLAIR H-C (OLDER - NOT DINO).

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS!

-------------------------------------------------

DOC @ TAG.WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#82458 Wed Jul 05 2006 04:05 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
That looks so nice original...for every restored pump there's one less original... I would get some weathered fire-chief signs and add glass and enjoy it like that.. that's just my opinion though... It'll look great restored too..

#82459 Wed Jul 05 2006 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your pump is in unusually good original condition...I agree with 'cans and stuff', except I'd go a little further...with some rubbing compound, wax, and a little elbow grease you could probably rub a lot of that dead paint off and bring it back to a rather surprising level of gloss...you could polish the dial faces with some Soft Scrub and wax, take the sight glasses off and clean them and the spinners, replace the missing hose guard rail, run some new wiring so the globe and ad glass will light up, get the aforementioned ad glass, globe and signs and you'd have a pretty sweet deal!

...plus, you could always completely restore the pump down the road if you chose to...for now, you will save a LOT of money, as signs, ad glass and a globe (all original) with a little wear would cost significantly less than a complete restoration...and here's the best part:

Your pump will be basically authentic and original...in my opinion, that's a plus in collecting circles...

...just my two cents worth - if I had that pump that's what I'd do...

...if you decide to go that route, I have a pretty nice Fire-Chief sign that would look perfect on that pump...just enough wear...major vendors that do lots of restorations (like Vic's Place, or Severn Gas Pumps) probably have used ad glass that's too good to throw out, but too weathered to use on a complete restoration, that they could hook you up with for not much cash...Texaco would be a great choice as Texaco collectors are legion, and there are a lot of used parts out there...

...Good Luck!!

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#82460 Wed Jul 05 2006 06:19 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I would stick with the original also. Clean it up the way it is. Nice looking pump

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#82461 Thu Jul 06 2006 05:47 AM
W
wmagoo Offline OP
OP Offline
W
If I was to polish it up, what's the best way to handle the rusty spots?

------------------
http://tok39.blogspot.com/

#82462 Thu Jul 06 2006 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...what does everyone else think about this?...I would use Scotch Brite on the really rusted areas, to get whatever scale there is, off...but generally I'd Turtle Wax the whole thing...seems to work for me in humid NC, and the rust never seems to get worse as long as the sign is indoors...

...but I will defer to those who know more about this than I ...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#82463 Thu Jul 06 2006 10:14 AM
W
wmagoo Offline OP
OP Offline
W
You have hit upon my problem. Leaving the pump outside, just about where it is. Which is outside, exposed to the elements. Possibly keeping it polished would keep inhibit the oxidation.

------------------
http://tok39.blogspot.com/

#82464 Thu Jul 06 2006 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Willy welcome to the site, nice looking pump that should give you years of trouble(I mean pleasure)lol. It does depend on if the pump is shown indoors or out, but the problem with rust is that it keeps growing unless treated no matter inside or out. Using scotchbrite is a good first step, but waxing the item without killing the rust is like painting over rust. Sooner than later the metal is gone. I'm sure everyone has either had or known someone who had a nice looking older car that showed a little bubble or two around the rear window.(My mom's '63 Impala, my '65 'Stang) Cleaned and waxed the car religiously and then found the cancer. Rust is cancer! It eats away at the metal and unless treated it just keeps eating. Muric acid will help wound the beast, naval jelly also works and yes having the item inside slows down the cancer but doesn't make it go away. There are a number of items for sale that works on rust, even a paint that will not allow oxygen to get to the metal, so no new iron oxide(commonly know as rust). But have never found a way to kill rust without attacking it, either by blasting or wire brushing. Then immediately spraying with a primer/sealer, not just a primer. Primer is porous and doesn't seal the metal from 02 nor moisture. I live near the ocean and right on top of the Columbia River and it is funny to see how many people who live here work on a cars sheetmetal and then spray primer over the spot. Then drive the car for days, weeks, months even longer without painting the vehicle. One day out in the weather and rust WILL start to develop and goes from there. So stop the rust before waxing. Just my suggestion.
Bob

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved