Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#86014 Mon Sep 29 2008 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
haggis you again...

Last post, I thought you all would just enjoy the pics but since you ask...

If anyone comes up with an original of any of these items they would be worth a huge pile oh cash. Put simply there is only one item is this whole post that is known to exist and its priced well over 10k.

So if you all are ready to play fast a loose, buy something that there is only ONE known example and spend over 10k then you are less risk adverse then I am.

If I am going to spend 10k for a sign or globe I would want to know pretty quick where it came from, who else had owned it etc.

So I don't think a sign that there are NO KNOWN versions of needs to be dated. If you buy one its fake plain and simple. THERE ARE NO REAL VERSIONS OTHER THEN HANDPAINTED SIGNS IN PHOTOS.

------------------
Scott Wright-
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerine.htm

Scott Wright
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#86015 Mon Sep 29 2008 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Scott good to hear from even if the rest aren't. Peace out. Ted

------------------
Ted Pam & Ethyl Roach
Lodi CA.
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
#86016 Mon Sep 29 2008 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott, These signs you got are Very Cool!!! I am starting to really like this Power~Lube and Bear Cat stuff. I am kinda Kicking myself for selling My Power~Lube sign. Oh well I will find another one some day. I thought this was supoose to be about having Fun guys why are you all giving him so much **** ??? I am glad he shared this with us, some of this Reproduction Stuff is Cool, and Even if I had $10,000 to spend on original globe I would never do it. I would Rather put reproduction Globes on my pumps just in case I ever bumped them and broke them I would feel much Better Knowing it is a $85 reproduction then a $$$$$ Expensive original. Nice Stuff Scott, Thanks for sharing it with us Oldgassers that Appreciate a Nicely Done Reproduction of a Very Expensive Original. I think I am going to Order me one of those Bearcat With Ethyl Signs. Who makes the Bearcat with Etyhl Globes?

Jason @ Esse's Garage.

[This message has been edited by Esse's Garage (edited 09-29-2008).]

[This message has been edited by Esse's Garage (edited 09-29-2008).]

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
#86017 Mon Sep 29 2008 04:43 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
It's to bad some of you have to interject your paranoia of repops and restored signs into every other post, it's kinda like watching "Ground Hog Day" with Bill Murray.

Slama made the Ethyl version for Buck and Scott, kinda hard to come by, they were sold out.

Have fun with the hobby.

BL

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#86018 Mon Sep 29 2008 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those are some cool pieces!!I really dig the globes.It would be nice if the signs were dated just to take the risk out of it for anyone in the future.In ten or twenty years or so,it maybe hard to tell or if they got into the wrong hands.I'm not picking sides and don't have a problem with repop stuff,I have some myself.Not everyone is as sharp as some people on repop items so it could happen,but one should do your home work when buying high end or rare signs.Scott don't take this as personal.Like I said not trying to bash or single anyone out at all,I would like to see all the stuff dated,not just yours.
Joe

#86019 Tue Sep 30 2008 07:32 AM
S
S
Great stuff... But to keep it safe (and keep others from riding you) it would be wise to date it or code it... I repro Coca-Cola signs and I date them AND code them. I
also make them out of heavy gauge aluminum
and emboss them... So even though they're
the same size and design... I took
the extra step to be sure that there are markings for those who may mistake them for NOS.
As the originals are bought up or ones money
is more focused on other interests and/or to put food on the table for the family...
nice, quality reproductions are a nice filler. I make them, I like them.
What program do you use to build these?
Photoshop, Illustrator
Great Stuff!
And adding this is if you're gonna mass produce these or make a few to resell...

[This message has been edited by SinclairHC (edited 09-30-2008).]

#86020 Wed Oct 01 2008 07:33 PM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
One of my favorite images is the Gardner 70 that Steve "Z" discovered in the Tri-Cities.
I've got the 15" lenses from Buck and Slama and the 12" and 24" signs that Dwaine did.
I really like the decals on the powder coated metal they look great and I'm glad that Dwaine took the time and trouble to make them up.
They are a little spendy for me, but I'll probably end up with one of the neons too.
I appreciate what these guys do to help the hobby.
bob

#86021 Thu Oct 02 2008 09:22 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I too appreciate folks that make repos, as long as they clearly identify them as repos.

I respectfully disagree with Powerlube's opinion about "no known" originals. I think a good case in point is the oval Gargoyle Rochester NY signs. I have heard people on this site say that there are no known originals, and that all Rochester ovals are fakes (or, to be more accurate, fantasy items). Other folks believe that there are some originals, but somebody made a ton of fakes. It even looks like there are fakes of the original fakes, as some are very poorly done. I am inclined to believe there are originals out there somewhere (that is just an opinion). I just think that if somebody is going to pass these off as originals, he would have an original to fake. However, we may never know because none of the fakes have dates on them. Now that these fakes or fantasy plates have been out for many years, they have patina and are almost always sold as originals. Now, if there really are a few originals of this plate, the owners of those plates are being robbed of a really rare and once-valuable plate, simply because there are no dates on the fakes.

Now, I used the word "fakes" alot. This is just an opinion. It is quite possible that the guy who originally made these "fakes" was not trying to deceive anybody. He may have just been making a repo or a fantasy piece. If it really is a fantasy piece, it may have been entirely obvious to him that there are no original Rochester ovals, so everybody should know it is a fantasy. That isn't the case now. We don't know for sure if there really were original Rochester ovals. Regardless, they are being sold as originals and people are being deceived.

50 years from now people may not know that decals over metal = repo. That distinction may be lost. It will not be so obvious in the distant future that these are not originals.

I guess the simplest way to say it is that if you aren't trying to fool anyone, there is no good reason not to date them. You don't have to date them on the front where everyone can see--you can date them on the back where they aren't visible when displayed.

Just my opinion. -Tom

[This message has been edited by tagree0 (edited 10-02-2008).]

[This message has been edited by tagree0 (edited 10-02-2008).]

Tom
#86022 Thu Oct 02 2008 03:59 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
They are decals!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are all decals marked???????????NO!!!

These just happen to be on powdercoated metal.
What am I going to do get another decal for the back with the date on it??????

When I have lenses made I date them, but I'm not going to have the decals marked, there is no reason too. It just makes the decal look like **** .

Get over it.

BL

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#86023 Fri Oct 03 2008 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great points on both sides.

I think most of us that post on internet forums and go to gas and oil shows can usually spot a repo.

My thoughts go to some of the auctions that I go to that have petro stuff sprinkled in. I have watched good people throw hundreds of dollars at items you can get for $15.00 elsewhere. They were obviously fake, fantasy, or repop, but the bidders were not knowledgable.

And...there is coming a generation of collectors behind us that may or may not be as savy as most on here. All things being equal, everything we now collect, unless they are passed on to our kids, is going to be sold someday.

Whether it be a sign, decal on a sign, globe, whatever....there certainly can be no harm in dating anything on the back, out of sight, marking it as a fantasy piece. It certainly could help protect the hobby many many years down te road.

Either way, just have fun with it.

#86024 Fri Oct 03 2008 02:26 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I could care less about the overpriced original stuff. A good reproduction is all I ask for. In fact, I am going to make my own enamel signs for my personal collection including original designs and could care less what happens to them after I am gone. If some collector thinks they are real 20'th century items, so be it.

Antique? It's new to me.
#86025 Fri Oct 03 2008 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Real nice tallrick... that is the attitude to have. Just hoping people get ripped off? Thanks for showing everyone on oldgas who you really are.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#86026 Fri Oct 03 2008 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
in a nutshell!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#86027 Fri Oct 03 2008 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is like a nasty car wreck. I tell myself to stop looking but I just cant help myself.

#86028 Fri Oct 03 2008 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"and could care less what happens to them after I am gone. If some collector thinks they are real 20'th century items, so be it."

NICE!!

Train Wreck is right!

But if you and I have no conscience or what is right or wrong I guess that explains the state of the economy of this very real world!

Out

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved