Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Pablo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Here's a few interesting old gas stations found on our recent vacation trip to Daytona Beach, Florida.

Walden's Filling Station, S. Beach St. I stopped into this station converted to a corner bar on my last trip. It's still operated by the son of the original owner, Ed Walden. Note the old gas pumps still standing out front.

Payne's service station, 403 Broadway (International Speedway Blvd). Looks like this station was built in the 1930's but is still pumping gas and providing service (note the Sunoco racing fuels sign). On a prior trip, they had a sign claiming 40+ years of continuous service. This was listed as an Amoco station in the 1957 phone book.

Direct Oil station, 934 Volusia Ave (International Speedway Blvd). I threw this one in since I worked at this station as a teenager in the 1960's. As you can see, it's now a used car lot. Steak 'n Shake used to be located directly across the street until the 1980's and was the local hangout of the day for street rods and muscle cars. It was quite a scene on Friday nights. The bouncer kept busy trying to stop the rodders from laying rubber and flirting with the car hops. Man, the Good 'ol Days!!

Paul

[This message has been edited by Pablo (edited 06-04-2005).]

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
Pablo I was raised in Miami,Florida lived there 50+ years........we spent a lot of time at Steak 'n Shake in Daytona hanging out as a teenager in the 1950's........Later in life after a LATE nite out we would go there to recover....
Always had a great time in Daytona.
Thanks for the memories.
REX LIKES DAYTONA

P
Pablo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Hi Rex,

The Steak 'n Shake you remember may have been on the beachside on Ocean Ave, about one block south of Main St. Daytona had two Steak 'n Shake locations in the 1960's. The one across from the Direct Oil station was on the mainland on Volusia Ave. In the early 1960's, this location was the Campus Drive-In restaurant. By the time I went to work for Direct in 1966, it was converted to a Steak 'n Shake.

By the way, I posted a Standard Oil merger document on your Kyso posting.

Cheers!!

Paul

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

SPOTTED THIS SCENE THIS MORNING ON MY WAY TO A TAG SALE. CAN'T SEEM TO LOCATE ANYONE LIVING AT THIS FARM HOUSE FOR YEARS. THERE'S A 1976 CHRYSLER CORDOBA PARKED BEHIND THE HOUSE AND THIS WAYNE 70 NEAR THE BARN. CAN'T GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO LOOK IT OVER. MAYBE COULD CHECK WITH THE NEARBY POLICE STATION OR TOWN HALL TO SEE WHO OWNS IT AND WHAT THE DEAL IS..........???

DOC @ TAG.EAST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
P
Pablo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Doc,

What's a "tag" sale? Is that something like a yard or garage sale? Thanks.

Good luck finding the owner of that pump!!

Paul

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
On the east coast, what we call a garage or yard sale, they call a "tag sale". I believe it's simply because of the price tags on the items.

My wife had a tag sale out here in our barn and although we had to explain what it was, the idea was a big hit with the ladies that read Martha Stewart Living.

Apparently you haven't been reading your Martha Magazine.

C Cragg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In the mid-west garage/yard sales are different than tag/estate sales.
Garage/yard sales are the ones that people try to sell all the junk they don't want or need anymore.
Tag/estate sales are when professional sellers come in and sell everything in a house. This type of sale is more common in the larger towns and cities. Its more common to see an estate auction around where I live, than a tag/estate sale.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ACTUALLY A TAG SALE IS WHEN SOMEONE WANTS TO SELL THE CONTENTS OF THEIR HOUSE AND NOT BE BOTHERED WITH THE SALE ITSELF, SO THEY HIRE PEOPLE TO DO THE JOB FOR THEM. WE ALSO HAVE YARDSALES AND GARAGE SALES...JUST DEPENDS ON THE LOCATION @ THE RESIDENTS. TAG SALES ARE USUALLY HELD INSIDE THE ENTIRE HOUSE LIKE AN ESTATE SALE.
SO IT'S REALLY NOT TOO DIFFERENT FROM THE REST OF THE COUNTRY!!!

DOC @ TAG.EAST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I alway thought it meant..The American Garage sale...

P
Pablo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Here's a neat old Gulf "ice box" station in Hillsboro, Texas currently undergoing restoration...

Looks like these guys are doing a great job!!

Paul

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved