Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
tagree0 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Before a hail storm rains down on me, I want to say that not all signs with a few chips off to the side are fakes. I am just saying that this forger uses that almost like a signature. I personally would be cautious if I see a small sign (like a pump plate) with a rusty back and a few porcelain chips off the face, but I'm not saying that every one is fake. I would just do a little more research before I buy.

The examples above are almost certainly fakes because they have these signatures AND they can be traced with relative certainty to a known forger in Argentina. Once these get into the general population, the only way to know for sure is to really know what you are buying (by doing research).

Tom
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good point. I saw a couple of these type signs at the last two shows in CA. Pick them up turn them over talk to older collectors or should I say someone that has been collecting for 10 years plus. My 2 cents. Ted

------------------
Ted Pam & Ethyl Roach
Lodi CA.
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Y
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Y
this whole thread about possible non-originals is a most informative read

also from other some other old gasers with alternative views, under another column comes this interesting read titled... Sometimes a REPO is alright

[This message has been edited by ynot (edited 10-01-2008).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lets make sure everyone knows the difference between the 2 threads. This one is about the posibility that this sellers signs are reproductions being passed off as originals. The thread about repo's is just that, reproduction and fantasy signs and globes. Dick and others rightfully asked about markings to let the next buyer down the line know that the signs are repo's and fantasy. Decals on metal and markings on the back answered that question, as long as no one takes the marking(decal?) off the back. Wholesalecandyshop was selling his "works of art" on ebay as the real "McCoy", original signs. Now it looks as if someone has purchased at least 4 items from "Wholesale" and may again be passing them off on ebay as originals. Just a "heads up" warning to those just getting into sign collecting that this seller's items may not be original. It is always up to the buyer to ensure they get what they pay for. Man, I'm long winded. lol

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I emailed Diamondsprings regarding the Signal pump plate--repop or real--to date no answer-i think i know the answer!

Frank Jordan
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have been in contact with "diamondsprings" and he has revised his auctions as "reproductions" and lowered the price since he found out the truth about them.He appears to be an honest man.

Frank Jordan
T
tagree0 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Yes, I do think he is honest. I received a response this weekend:

Sorry I didnt answer before, I thought you might be trying to get the price lowered. I did buy these from the guy you mentioned (I think he was in Brazil, but whats the difference). I also did some more research and found a link to a website in South America with the signs. I went ahead and revised the auctions (and lowered the prices significantly), and I will notify any bidders in case they were watching the auctions. I should have Googled the bidder id before I bought, not just for the signs.

Tom
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I got a reply also and he just didn't know. Seems to be an honest seller. Thanks to this site he got an education. He just thought he was getting a good deal from south of the border. Ted

------------------
Ted Pam & Ethyl Roach
Lodi CA.

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *