Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
What I have always found amusing in this and many other previous disagreements like this one....is that there is a better than average chance that NEITHER Brian NOR T-Way have the honest to goodness LEGAL (not ethical, LEGAL) right to use that image. I'm sure if the right archivist, historian, corporate attorney etc, were to see the IOMA Thunderbird OR RedHat logo being reused today (regardless of the color), then cease & desist letters would come a'flying. Been there & Done that, I've been legal with General Motors, Texaco, Sinclair, Shell, Phillips, & ExxonMobil and others.....a claim I'm certain not many can make.

Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: s932
Im trying to understand this, If Tway is going out of his way and willing to produce a set of lenses with your name on them how is that using somebody elses artwork? Just because its the same color means nothing. Just my two cents keep up the good work T way

I don't think you understand.

But I've spent good money with T-Way; 5 images, 3 lens runs, a pricey decal run and other stuff. Been happy with everything. So if you think I'm just some guy trying to stick it to old T-Way you would be very wrong!

Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brian i dont think your trying to stick it to Tway. I am just asking a question and trying to understand the process.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
topic may get locked,but it will have an explanation.wont just dissapear! poof!!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
I'm not to keen on entering this debate but I have to say something in regards to the art work that Jim has done. shortly after Jim bought the company, Jim told me of his idea to do this art and How he wanted them to be personalized, I told him at that time that I thought it would be a Great Idea . Shortly after that he showed me art that he had done for Both the IOMA Globes that he has Pictured on this site for sale, at that time I told him he should get started on them, But at that time he had plenty on his plate so they went on the back burner. Jim has Had Both the Red Hat & the Thunderbird art since he bought the company from Pogo. This is not something Jim dreamed up last night he has been working on this for some time now.Jim and I have done a lot of deals together , I've always known Jim to go the extra mile to help someone wanting a one off run of lenses, I've seen him destroy a ton of glass because it just wasen't up to his standards,and take a total loss on the lense run just so the buyer wouldn't find falt in his workmanship, Believe me he's a class act , this is not just a Hobby to Jim and Jodi it's there business and I think that this problem could be put to sleep with a Phone call

Chris Holt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can see Brian's point here.

So what would be the "ethical" thing to do? Pay Brian back his money for the time spent to make the center logo?

I have never had any lenses made so i am not sure how this works but would Brian or T-way explain it for me. If John Doe calls wanting a custom set of lenses made for a gas station he's building does that mean the vendor can't sell them? Only Example i know is the Skelly Aviation Brian had made was a custom run right? Only so many (blank number) of sets made and no more? Is this something John Doe and Vendor work between them?

Just wanting to know how this all works.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
just to clarify,my only point was to point out that jim knows what he is doing and has always been fair and honest with me.again,nonebetter!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris, Jim told me also about making personalized globes last year at Peotone. I know is wasn't something he just came up with. I told him i could see guys buying them. He also talked about making colored frosted lenses. I liked that idea also... example would be i have a R.J. Oils 500 globe that is all red and if it had a red back frosted lens then it would cast a red glow on the wall. Is that just to anal or what! LOL Call me crazy but i like it!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I went back and read Jims post about the art work.

Jim Wrote "I already had the Thunderbird artwork done for a lens that has yet to be introduced. It was already on my Red Hat lenses - and I had been retailing IOMA Thunderbird decals long before anyone asked for - or paid for - a Custom Run of lenses. Since that portion of the lens art was already done, I only charged Brian for the time it took to finish laying out the rest of the lens and setting up the files for screening. He was aware of that when he received my quote.
The only lens art the Brian 'owns' is the one that actually reads "The EMBLEM of DEPENDABILITY". For him to beleive that I would NEVER produce another lens with the Thunderbird on it is ludicrous. That was never part of the business transaction."

If that is the case what Jim is doing is "ethical".

Still would like for someone to clarify how custom lenses work.

+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
Buy the way Brian ,I liked the run Jim did for you on the thunderbird lenses ,I thought it was a great Idea to change up the color and why not it's just like the IOMA was , each one was different.To me I would want a color change,you know to step away from the Black,It's not that I'm trying to step on your toe's Brian I'm just thinking about two globes that would look great on the pumps in front of my shop that would be completly different from everyone elses including yours. it's not that they had to be green or blue just like yours ,I would have liked a Burgandy ,or a much darker green, that would have been more to my taste.But To me these globes represented differences whether it's color or in the name, but no matter how ya cut it there going to be different. And To Me Thats what draws me/us to this hobby. I know I'm all about being different Just ask someone who knows me. LOL

Chris Holt
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Seth,
It was a $105.95 part.
Wasn't tardy. Sold something on buy it now and did not have it in stock. Kinda like selling oil in pipelines that you don't have.
hmmmm. I wish him well as this hobby needs as many quality vendors as it can get.
But do it right.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maurice... i think your on the wrong thread. LOL

T-way Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Brian:

You think you 'own' colors now? You think that there were never any other colors of IOMA lenses?
You seem to have forgotten that there were Green IOMA lenses and that I suggested that you make the blue versions I ran for you.

And you NEVER even bothered to call me about this - you just ranted here on Oldgas. You wouldn't even return my phone call or my e-mail.

It's funny how selective your memory is when you think you've been wronged. You seem to forget that I busted up and discarded every one of the Fantasy Skelly Aviation lenses I made for you the 'first' time I ran them. I ended up running those 2 1/2 times to fulfill your order.

I contacted you and explained that I was having trouble with the dark blue frit during the firing process.
Do you remember that? Do you also remember that I did not ask or charge you anything extra for all the lost production or material?

I'm not complaining mind you - just pointing out exactly how I do business.

If your nose is out of joint about this - so be it. If you feel you can get better service - or products - from somebody else. Send them your business.

But next time you feel wronged - be a man about it and pick up the phone.

That's all I have to say on this topic.

Later . . .

JIm

BTW - here is an original Green IOMA lens.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: souperhigh
Seth,
It was a $105.95 part.
Wasn't tardy. Sold something on buy it now and did not have it in stock. Kinda like selling oil in pipelines that you don't have.
hmmmm. I wish him well as this hobby needs as many quality vendors as it can get.
But do it right.

Maurice...I don't what you are referring to....the other thread about Don was over the original poster having a $15 cylinder on backorder. I never saw the deleted posts.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
A person with ethics never has to defend himself!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved