Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: itsagas
WOW What a great collection. Hard to find wall space for all that. Thanks for sharing. cool

They are pretty bulky but I have a plan... wink

I have a 50' x 60' shop that I'm constructing a full-scale Sinclair Gas Station inside of... The service bay area will be 30' wide x 25' deep... The ceiling height inside the service area will be 13'. I will run two rows of posters above the toolboxes and benches around the entire area.

The Retail Sales area will be 20' wide x 15' deep... I will run a set of posters around the room above the shelving...

The owner's office will be 15' wide x 10' deep... I will run a set of globes from all eras around the tops of the office bookshelves...

The perimeter of the shop that doesn't have the station walls on it will be lined with an 8' tall picket fence... I will hang all my banners on it surrounding the area.

Everything will be heated and cooled. grin

Ray
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: Dale Stephens
Really nice Sinclair items. Didn't know they put out so many different ones. Thanks for sharing....Dale

Hey Dale,

These posters were supposed to be have a run-time of 3 months each... It's hard to believe that paper material could handle outdoor exposures and last that long! Considering the time period I'm interested in collecting (1950-1970), that would translate into 80 posters... I've got 50 down... 30 to go!! grin

Everyone knows of the free-standing "Clean Restrooms" sign that was roadside at Sinclair stations... These posters were placed in similar areas to catch their customer's attention to specials going on or products that Sinclair was trying to promote. Here's an annual conference discussing their marketing layout of a typical station in 1952 with the "Poster Stand" prominently located upfront:

Here's a couple examples of stations displaying a few of the posters and cardboard signs I already have:

Here's a couple of cardboard signs I REALLY would like to locate...

By the way, if anyone has one of these "Poster Stands" available for sale I'd REALLY be interested in purchasing one!! Let me know if you come across one! smile

I was told what the official name of these stands were called but I can't remember the actual name of them...

Last edited by hotrod468; Tue Nov 24 2009 08:59 PM.

Ray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...hi Ray - thanks again for the photos!...I hate to be the one to tell you, but it's 120 posters...3 months each is 4 every year, for 30 years...4 x 30 = 120...don't sweat it, you're almost halfway there grin

...the Grand Opening thing highlighted in the last photo looks more like a banner, probably canvas, with wood stretchers at the top and bottom...I had a Union 76 one of similar construction...

...you might check with Shaun Higgins...I know he had some posters in the auction at the Mid-Atlantic show a couple weeks ago, I think some were Sinclair...I don't have his info but I'm sure someone on Oldgas does...

..also, I know a fellow Oldgasser who has one of the 'Clean Rest Rooms' swinging signs if you're looking for one...

...what you need are some of the poster displays like they used to have at Wal-Mart, where the posters are in frames, and you can flip through them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270360253512

...don't know if that's your size, but I'm sure someone makes one that would work for you...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...hi Ray - thanks again for the photos!...I hate to be the one to tell you, but it's 120 posters...3 months each is 4 every year, for 30 years...4 x 30 = 120...don't sweat it, you're almost halfway there grin

Hey Mark,

I got busy typing and wasn't watching what I was doing... Thanks for catching the slip!! I corrected my statement... I'm really interested in the 1950's and 1960's... For consistency sake with the gas station, I wanted to pick a particular era... I chose the 1959+ Dino era... The more I collected, the more I liked the "Power-X"/Extra Duty era (the red/green cans)... Therefore, I stretched the collecting to 1950... I have a few earlier posters (pre-1950) and a few later posters (post-1970)... but not many...

...you might check with Shaun Higgins...I know he had some posters in the auction at the Mid-Atlantic show a couple weeks ago, I think some were Sinclair...I don't have his info but I'm sure someone on Oldgas does...

MAN, I SURE HOPE SOMEONE HAS CONTACT INFORMATION ON SHAUN HIGGINS AND CAN "PM" ME WITH IT!!!

...I know a fellow Oldgasser who has one of the 'Clean Rest Rooms' swinging signs if you're looking for one...

I already have one of the "Clean Restrooms" signs but I don't have one of the racks that it hangs in... I'll be looking for the frame soon...

...what you need are some of the poster displays like they used to have at Wal-Mart, where the posters are in frames, and you can flip through them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270360253512

...don't know if that's your size, but I'm sure someone makes one that would work for you...

That's another great idea... ohhhh... the possibilities... smile

Ray
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Ray:
I have the stand that the Clean Restrooms sign hangs on. If interested, let me know...Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Couple more plastic signs and a couple old banners too.

A 6 foot plastic HC sign, never saw another

There are a lot of Pennzoils around, oval and rectangles

A Dino sign, different sizes and differnet levels of embosed letters

My one new ceiling light

Another one ready to go up this weekend

Few banners

Ceiling coverings

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nice 6' HC sign. looks good lit up

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Man, Max... That 6' plastic HC sign is awesome! I had no idea they had ever used plastic during the HC years...

Ray
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Hey Max,

Here's a nice picture of an old country store/gas station with one of your banners displayed... grin

Last edited by hotrod468; Thu Nov 26 2009 06:17 PM.

Ray
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Like those Fleet Wing lenses up on the ceiling! Pretty sweet pair.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Getting in late....last day but here are a few of my favorites...

Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Harbor, Indian Motorcycle, Powerlube, Beacon, Michelin, Conoco MM
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved