Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14447 Sun Apr 23 2006 07:56 PM
T
TMC Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I just picked up a sign.Wondered how to staighten a few bends and a crease without doing more or to much damage.Tom

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was wondering the same thing. I'd like to also hear input on straightening an otherwise mint porcelain (DSP) that is curved. The whole thing has about a 2" bow to it when lying flat.

Thanks,
Wes

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
I am not an expert by any means on this subject, but I have been playing around with porcelain sign repair for a few months now. You must remember that porcelain is glass and when you bend or strike it,it is going to break. Therefore, unless you want to touch up or repaint the damaged color decide if straightening is worth it. In a lot of cases the patina of a old sign is better than a touched up or restored sign. If a sign is real bad, but worth the effort, I use a press rather than a hammer to straighen the sign. This does a lot less damage then using a hammer. The problem you will have is excess metal. This is another problem that has several solutions, but I won't get in to that here. Good luck and I hope this helps a bit

Craig

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A press is great, in a pinch I have sandwiched the sign with cardboard or wood and driven over the sign slowly with my durango. Sign is flat and you can go about fixing or hanging as you see fit!

------------------
Scott Wright-
Wanted Powerine, Bearcat and Powerlube Items- Lots to trade!

Scott Wright
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
SOMETIMES YOU GUYS SCARE ME TO DEATH !!!

DRIVING OVER PORCELAIN ???

WE'RE NOT ROLLING A SPRING LAWN HERE ARE WE ?

MY THOUGHTS ??? LAY A GIG OUT FOR THE SIGN, SLOWLY DAY AFTER DAY TURN THE SCREWS, JUST LIKE LIFE.

I'VE DONE CEILINGS THAT WAY, BOB YOU THERE LASTGAS ? GOD I'M GOING TO HAVE NIGHT MARES ABOUT THUNDER AND HIS TRUCK COMING UP MY DRIVEWAY THIS SUMMER. JUST TRYING HELP BRO ???

DOUG

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
They only way it will straighten is to push it past the yield point.

I will give you a tip, a slight bow if on a wall showing one side may actually look better. Many European sign are convex.

I think if it was 2 inches on a 42 inch or bigger sign, screwing it to the frame would take care of it..

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Doug.... How did I get drug into this??? LOL..... I've never driven over a sign. Maybe through a fence or two.... but never over a sign....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
H
H
Say Powerlube - I like the sound of your idea, but I don't have a durango. Would a suburban do if I went a little faster? Or should that be slower? Ed

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
How about a John Deere 748 Grapple Skidder I bet that puppy would straigten out a sign.Better yet D8 Cat,sssssstraight 4ever.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have also driven over 6 foot round Gulf signs with an Expedition. You really can't get all the bends out but it does a pretty good job for the most part. Remember these signs were almost bent in half. Some flaking of the porcelin but not as much as expected. I laid a blanket over the driveway and put the sign on it then just kept driving over back and forth. I have pictures of this method but again am lame on how to post.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am going to cover my eyes on this post so I cant't read it anymore. LOL

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
HEY I THINK I HAVE SOME OF THE SIGNS YOU GUYS HAVE "RESTORED",,,I ALLWAYS WONDERED WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM,,,RD

R D
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Driving over a porcelain sign...? Maybe an ex-wife, but, but, but... Novel idea for sure. There are a few guys who restore signs but I'm not sure if they would divulge trade secrets.

Dave Folck
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Thunder :

Why don't we put the signs that need fixing out by your road. Late night partiers can do all the work for free ?

Doug

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BlackTee Doug, It was powerlube who said to drive over the sign not thunder

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved