Print Thread
#15517 Thu Dec 22 2005 04:11 PM
T
Thunder Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I felt that today would be a good day to beat on a pump for a while. So I grabbed another 36B door, for my Far-go pump. (see "The thrill of the hunt" & "Another mystery decal") I thought that I could try to get a more well preserved Far-go decal, because this door had more paint on it. Instead I found this decal...

Can anybody shed some light on this for me? If I can get decals and/or a globe like this I just might have found the answer to how I will paint my other pump...

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#15518 Thu Dec 22 2005 04:28 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Hey Thunder...Bearcat ethyl was the brand name of the Powerine Gasoline by the Powerine Company in Denver. If you ever see a Powerine Roadmap..this symbol is usually inside. I've even seen it on Powerine matchbooks. I saw a picture of a pump globe which is like your decal..a very rare globe. They even had drawings of the "Bearcat" marrying "Ethyl" in their maps & matchbooks. Ron

#15519 Thu Dec 22 2005 06:12 PM
T
Thunder Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
SO THATS WHY THAT GUY LOOKS FAMILIAR!!!!!

Now where did I see it? Do any of you globe guys, or decal guys make it?

#15520 Thu Dec 22 2005 08:23 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Wow Thunder!!! You have a knack for finding pumps with great Colorado oil company history on them. I love that Bearcat image and have saved it to my archives. Thanks for sharing.
chris

#15521 Thu Dec 22 2005 08:25 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
How are you stripping the paint with such little damage to the decal?
chris

#15522 Thu Dec 22 2005 09:15 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
DO NOT TOUCH THAT DOOR UNTIL I CAN GET TO SEE IT PLEASE!!! That is awesome, I can't believe the detail on it.

------------------
Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!

Scott
#15523 Thu Dec 22 2005 10:01 PM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Chris I don't know how thunder does it but I use a heavey duty putty knife and scrape the paint off. I have had real good luck on decals that where not primed over before they were painted. Hope Scott and Thunder can make out the rest of the decal would be a nice repop. Richard

#15524 Fri Dec 23 2005 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Guys:

Given good enough reference, I can re-create this for you. I'd just need the shot posted here, the overall size and a good, crisp, clear scan of a black-n-white version off of a map or other reference to create the art.

And we could certainly make a run of the globes that 'match' (page 79 of the Teal book) if there was enough pre-orders. Again, I'd need good reference shots of an original lens.

Later . . .

Jim

#15525 Fri Dec 23 2005 08:17 AM
T
Thunder Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
What I've found so far is that the paint has not stuck well to the decals. I SLOWLY chip the paint away with a small blade. The trick is not to gouge the decal with the blade. Sadly, most of the damage to the numerous coats of paint, were in the decal area. There is enough left so a good graphics artist should be able to pick this up and fix it for a reproduction. I'm stopping at this point if anybody wants to do a small production run, and they need this as a sample. The detail goes right down to the individual dots on the decal!!! Hey you Globe & Decal guys give me a call...

Scott, why dont you Chris and I try to get together sometime?

#15526 Fri Dec 23 2005 08:38 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Thanks for the offer tway but I would like to have this reproduced but not copyrighted so that others are free to use it.

I have several other photos that I will be posting when we do company of the month for Powerine.

Jeff- I would love to come see it! Whats your schedule look like for the next week?

Chris- When are we going to come up to see your garage? Your photos look great and I would love to see them in person!!!

------------------
Scott

Scott
#15527 Fri Dec 23 2005 08:40 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Wow!! Love that decal! Nice job, Thunder!
GR8 to hear about the history of the old companies gone and almost forgotten.
Rod

------------------

#15528 Fri Dec 23 2005 12:24 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Count me in if anyone repops this stuff. Love that decal!

#15529 Fri Dec 23 2005 01:29 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
The only Bearcat globe that I know of is the one that A.J. Vogel owned that is pictured on page 79 of volume 1 of the Benjamin/Henderson books. He has since died but I think his family still has his collection if you can't just use the photo in the book to create the art for the globe.
I think it would be better to have correct art for the globe and the decal. Since they are different it would take more time to do the artwork but I think it would be worth it.
I'd take a globe and a few sets of decals for sure!
How do you copyright something that has presumedly been copyrighted already? If some else held the copyright and don't anymore can you just go in and take it and claim it as yours? That doesn't seem right. Scott, can you please explain what you meant? Seems like many of these old companies no longer have someone do defend their copyright and if someone wants to make some reproduction item it should be fair game for anyone. Probably wrong on that. I'm sure someone knows. Don't want to turn this into a fight. Just curious.
Scott If you go to see Thunder next week let me know. I'd like too join you if it's possible. I work Wed. and Thur. Might have to go to the airport on Tues.

#15530 Fri Dec 23 2005 02:07 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I don't know how anyone is able to copyright this new old artwork. Sounds fishy to me as well. I hope whoever creates these and makes them into globes or decals relizes the people are not buying them because of new artist's work but rather for the artwork that was created years ago by the true artist, in this case it was ken smith. A copyright after the fact is just greed to me.

You are correct that there are two bearcats from powerine the first:

and the second:

The decal jeff has is the only known version of the bearcat other then the one used in the powerine maps.

The first was a prototype and that is where Aj got the globe, I don't think his was ever on a pump as I believe the later version was the production version.

------------------
Scott

Scott

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved