Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#208985 Thu Oct 21 2010 08:44 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
I noticed pumps have many special screws, that you can not buy at menards or places like that. I have organized all the screws, and but they are rusted and I need to get the rust off of them. I am using CRL, but it is only getting half the rust off.

anyone have any ideas. thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I know kerosene or diesel fuel works.

A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a wire wheel on my grinder and of coarse the sand blast cabinet works very well too. If the screws are too small to hold with vise gripes, I wear exam/surgical gloves when using the wire wheel. Takes some practice but grinding down the gloves is better than my skin. I have sent screws flying across the shop so be careful.
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Soak them in a can of Coke.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Evaporust from auto zone I was amazed how well it worked!

LUCKY'S LONESTAR GAS & OIL

««Looking for the Sinclair Mobiline and Pennsylvania Motor Oil Vertical Signs
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Chuck them into your cordless drill and rotate while applying steel wool, emery paper or whatever abrasive you wish. I polish the screw heads on my restorations this way.

Robert Usrey
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use pool acid [muritic acid] in a plastic cup/bowl in a Well Ventilated area [Outside] & wear protective Glasses & Gloves. Sometimes have to leave overnight, pour off acid then use Baking Soda & water mix to Neutralize the acid. Quickly dry w/ a torch or heat gun.
Also works great to remove concrete from bases.
NEVER use on Alum, Pot Metal or Galvanized Metal

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I use a tumbler. It takes ALL of the rust off and leaves the screws just like new. You can pick one up fairly cheap at harbor freight or its equivalent.

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Speaking of screws that you find in gas pumps,I always try to reuse the original ones also. However sometimes you have to buy new ones. Today I got a big surprise. In the midwest we have a large chain of stores called "Farm and Fleet" where I buy bulk quanities. They no longer carry ANY, slotted head screws of any size, and the clerk told me that they would not be carrying phillips head screws much longer. They had a few of those sorry combination slotted/phillips left.No demand for them any more. Ace hardware had a few left, but not a lot. A sign of the times.

Norm Huff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I second the wire wheel, and agree that you have to be careful.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: cmeon66
Speaking of screws that you find in gas pumps,I always try to reuse the original ones also. However sometimes you have to buy new ones. Today I got a big surprise. In the midwest we have a large chain of stores called "Farm and Fleet" where I buy bulk quanities. They no longer carry ANY, slotted head screws of any size, and the clerk told me that they would not be carrying phillips head screws much longer. They had a few of those sorry combination slotted/phillips left.No demand for them any more. Ace hardware had a few left, but not a lot. A sign of the times.

Wonder what 'they' plan to use once screws are gone? Pixy dust and unicorn tears??

Robert Usrey
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those new combo screws look just wrong on pumps. Not sure what I will use next time as I have the same problem trying to find just straight slotted screws also as our local hardware stores do not carry them anymore either.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: keithia
Those new combo screws look just wrong on pumps. Not sure what I will use next time as I have the same problem trying to find just straight slotted screws also as our local hardware stores do not carry them anymore either.

...surely there is an online source for this stuff?...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I order my screws online. I like to use stainless. Tring to find slot screws these days is hard. Here is the place I order from. They have pan, oval, round and flat head slot screws.
http://www.bosunsupplies.com/products2.cfm?product=F-MS-SP

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved