Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17900 Thu May 04 2006 12:03 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I am fairly new to this but off to a good start. I met Jim Potts at the model t club swap meet in St Louis and bought some books last weekend. I have a few questions that I can use some help on. I have a nice blue tinted cylinder for the G&B 176 I am restoring, did all companys use Blue the tinted cylinder? do i need to stick to all glass, or 15" metal bodied globes to be correct for the era this pump is from?
What companys used G&B pumps in missouri?

Thanks for everyones help. this looks like a fun place.
Braden

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#17901 Thu May 04 2006 03:08 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
You are assuming that the major oil companies had stations in ever town and city. Back in the 1920s and 1930s most stations in a town the size of Sullivan were owned by the owner. He contracted to purchase gasoline from a local distributor. In your area the distributor could have been as far away as Rolla.
Assuming it was Shell (just for example purposes), the distributor would bring you decals and a globe to put on your pump. These were compliments of Shell. Shell would not purchase a pump for you or nor would they paint your pump, you had to take care of it yourself.
If you didn't have a pump, you called the closest equipment distributor and asked him to come out and sell you a pump.
The quipment salesman would bring some brochures from the gas pump companies he represented. You picked out the pump. The equipment dealer kept some pumps in stock in the warehouse so you probably took one of these.
It was delivered in the color red, and would have either a clear or tinted cylinder on it.
Gilbarco called their cylinders NULTRA bowl, and they said it would display your gas in all its sparkling brilliance.
As far as a globe is concerned, if you are planning on putting the pump outside, we would all advise you to purchase a reproduction globe as they break easy and why break a $1000 globe when you can break a $100 globe.
As for who used Gilbarcos in Missouri, no one can really tell you.
Standard always had a connection with Gilbarco, so their major stations in large cities probably had Gilbarcos when they were new.
Pumps were traded in when a new pump came out, so maybe the dealer in Sullivan purchase a used pump that was once used in St. Louis.
Don't worry about who used Gilbarco pumps, paint it anything you want. If you used to work at a Gulf station when you were a kid, restore it to Gulf, if your uncle's from Scotland and his last name was Sinclair, restore it to Sinclair. Have fun with your pump, there are no PUMP POLICE out there to tell you, you did it wrong, and we don't drag pumps to shows to be judged, like old cars.
Jack Sim
Author, Gas Pump Identification book

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 05-04-2006).]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#17902 Thu May 04 2006 03:24 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
WELCOME ABOARD!! PHONEMAN

You'll find most everyone here very helpful and knowledgable. Good luck with your visi. Post pics for us please.

Jack: very nice reply

#17903 Thu May 04 2006 04:01 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I have read several of the topics in the last month. I like the family type atmosphere and all of the good information. I am leaning towards doing my pump marathon green and cream. In the book it looks like a good match to my 40 Ford pickup but then I might have to color key a pump to each of my cars. It looks like I have a lot of knowlege close by with Jack Sim and Jim Potts being from St Louis. Ive also seen several posts from Rolla Mo. Thanks for the info and welcoming thoughts. I will try to get some pictures together.
Braden

#17904 Thu May 04 2006 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
phoneman
BEFORE you buy paint, get your globe & sign/decals. Have the paint matched to them, you will be HAPPIER with the results.
db

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved